Petrol Tank Vacuum

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

alan8181

Petrol Tank Vacuum

Post by alan8181 »

Hi,
I have been having trouble with a juddering cutting out 205 K-reg 1.1 petrol carb car.
My mechanic is having trouble isolating the cause as he has had the car on two occasions and the problem has not happened for him yet.
After the first mile, when I have put the choke in the car intermittently judders when the revs drop and also it seems when i put the accelerator down again. I feel there is alos a loss of power. The car is also liable to cut out. Sometimes the battery light flicks on and it cuts out briefly then comes back by itself (often around the 25mph mark).
He does not think its electrical and he has checked the little jet and it is clear. He now thinks that the big jet might be getting muck from the petrol chamber sucked up into it and he thinks this MIGHT be the cause.
He suggested I try driving it without the petrol cap on and see if it happens again. He said if it happens again to tell him and he'll do some technique to suck the muck out and replace the fuel filter.
The problem only started to happen after he did a service and replaced the sparkplugs/oil filter/ air filter and put some carb cleaner in.
Tonight, on my way back from work it was raining hard so I couldn't do it. The car also cut out briefly but came back by itself again at 30mph.
Somedays the problem is there and others it is not. This morning it was ok but tonight it was not (it wasnt raining this morning but was quite damp).
Do you think driving with the cap off can help and stop muck getting sucked into the filter?
Also, please could I have your advice if I should even be driving the car. Each journey is nerve racking in case it cuts out. I use it 4 miles to work and 4 miles back along 30,60 and 70 mph road. When it cuts out I dip the clutch, turn the ignition and it restarts ok everytime so far but I'm worried for my safety and other peoples.
Thanks,
Alan