Failed seat welding - has this happened before?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

D.Slatford
My Cars:

Failed seat welding - has this happened before?

Post by D.Slatford »

Recently something very annoying has happened, the drivers seat backrest has completely broken away from the seat. First one side broke off, requiring it to be propped up from behind, then shorty after the other side failed, so the thing is now completely detached and kept sort of in place by an espresso machine cardbox box and socket set kit!
Having inspected the join, it seems the whole backrest is held to the seat with three small spot welds each side, right at the bottom. To me it's no wonder it failed, it's a lot of leverage on hardly anything. Obviously I need to acquire a new seat (anyone scrapping any Xantias near to Leeds or Bristol?) but I've lost faith in Xantia seats doing their job properly. Is this anything like a common problem or a bizzare thing to have failed on me?
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

I believe this is not yet a common problem. But as the Xantia's grow older, it may become a more common problem.
The CX I know from own experience had a weak back seat construction in the locking mechanism, which meant you suddenly lost the back support. Quite scaring during drive [B)]
Likewise the BX had a tendency to snap in the back frame - quite like your's have done it I believe.
dan.2cv
My Cars:

Post by dan.2cv »

There are thousands of Xantias on the road and I doubt there are too many owners driving them around with their seats dangerously held in place by household waste; I think Citroën might have recalled them by now.
You cannot seriously claim to be in control of a car with a detatched backrest, so instead of worrying how safe an unbroken seat is, consider the risks you are placing on other road users by continuing to drive your car in its current condition.
Why didn't you just replace the seat when just one side broke?
mpr1956
My Cars:

Post by mpr1956 »

Someone here might know if you can simply bolt the passenger side seat in while you take the drivers seat to have the backrest welded back into place. It can't be more than a case of clamping the broken bits in place and running some beads of weld around the edge (If spot welds were supposed to be secure then a mig weld should be fine.)I'm surprised the seat failed though... Are you a big lad?
D.Slatford
My Cars:

Post by D.Slatford »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">I'm surprised the seat failed though... Are you a big lad?
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Not really! Nor was the previous owner. This is something I'd never expect to happen.
The car's seven years old, a little late for a product recall. Needless to say, for the interim period until I can find a welder (or more likely a replacement) with the space behind very well packed, the backrest has no chance of moving anywhere other than rocking a little when I get in. It's not as if the whole seat is moving around, so dan.2cv's touching concern of being somehow out of control isn't too warranted. I'd be more worried over reading accounts of people here modifying their brake pedals or those other xantias I hear driving around with the perpetually flat accumulator sphere or other neglected hydraulics, than what is for now a slightly wobbly backrest and one less space on the back seat.
Seeing the build quality, I <i>am</i> concerned about an unbroken seat I'm supposed to trust. The fear of it suddenly breaking again while driving is quite high. Reassuring that so far nobody else (here at least) has really had this happen.
simonelsey
My Cars:

Post by simonelsey »

How long have you had the car , My stepdad , he is a large person , use to be cabbie , used to go through seats like anything, it was to do with leaning back and getting the money ,from people in back seats , seat awould snap various makes .Plus people grabing seat on the way out of car. Could you car be a ex cab ?
Garysz

Post by Garysz »

My xantia failed its MOT last year due to 'broken seat'. Garage fixed it with a weld (after they had driven the car with the bonnett loose, which flipped up and trashed the bonnett and windscreen!), they made no money on this MOT!
turbolag

Post by turbolag »

Must be a French car thing. A 106 I used to drive at work had the drivers seat shear completely off the floor. One of the dibble 306s we have also had the same thing happen. Yoiks.
Armin
My Cars:

Post by Armin »

My Bx driver seat has the same problem but it was just broken on one site I welded it was mig / mag and it`s just fine now for over 3 years.