Xantia noisy front end over bumps

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

soupy_sam
My Cars:

Xantia noisy front end over bumps

Post by soupy_sam »

Have lots of clunks and clinks when going over bumps, Suspension seems fine, have secured battery but still getting clunks
Has onyone any ideas what it is and how it can be fixed please
oilyspanner
My Cars:

Post by oilyspanner »

Sounds like drop links (they connect anti roll bar to wishbones or struts) difficult to check for play in situ.
Stewart
stevieO

Post by stevieO »

I have exactly the same. Are they expensive/difficult to repair.
Stevie0
Xantia 1.9td 148000
oilyspanner
My Cars:

Post by oilyspanner »

Easy to replace, check your book of lies, there are two types apparently, easier to fit if both sides are jacked up, wire brush and lubricate threads before you start, reassembly is the reversal etc.
Stewart
np
My Cars:

Post by np »

I had the same problem last year.Changed the drop links both sides,all cured.Cost about £30 for the both.Took about 20 mins a side.Although it may be better to cut off the bolts instead of trying to undo them.1 of mine needed cutting off.It took longer to get the car off the ground & remove the wheels than it did to do the droplinks.
paranoid
My Cars:

Post by paranoid »

Don't bother to undo the nuts just cut them off, did mine on full lock on the deck, nice easy job.
A dremel type thing would be perfect.
wotsupnow
My Cars:

Post by wotsupnow »

What's the average lifetime of replacement drop links ? I fitted a GSF pair 12mnths ago and they lasted a month before the o/s one came apart at the bottom ball joint, replaced those with some from Carcraft ( GSF thankfully refunded which paid for oil/filters etc ),
now 11 months later the o/s one has again gone at the bottom %$$££.
To test I have suspension normal height, jack up onto blocks under sill and take wheel off, put a length of 1.5" x 1.5" wood between wishbone and antiroll bar then lever downwards, you can see the bottom ball joint seperate.
Pete
soupy_sam
My Cars:

Post by soupy_sam »

Do I need any special tools to do drop links e.g. balljoint splitter
Xantia 1.9 TD 1995 146,000
np
My Cars:

Post by np »

No,i didn`t.Just suported the car on axle stands,& undid/cut them off.Very easy to do,once you`ve got the car in the air & the wheels off.
np
My Cars:

Post by np »

Trouble with email Sam.You need to take the wheels off.The droplinks are about 12" or so long.Nut at the top,& one at the bottom.Although its better just to cut the nuts off,as they can seize.Other than that,its a easy straight foward job.
paranoid
My Cars:

Post by paranoid »

When you get the new ones go to the trouble of sticking in some more grease, mine had none at all on the moving bits.
np
My Cars:

Post by np »

I think thats whats wrong with mine(see srange noise).My new ones had clear see through gaitors on them,with no/not enough grease.Will have to put some in.
soupy_sam
My Cars:

Post by soupy_sam »

how do you put more grease into them?
ItDontGo
My Cars:

Post by ItDontGo »

Your car might have something wrong with it if they wear out at an excessive rate.
You could do without them on one side in many ways. Its not like your wheels are going to fall off is it?
oilyspanner
My Cars:

Post by oilyspanner »

I use an old syringe filled with grease, before fitting squeeze the rubber toward the threaded bit and a little gap appears, squirt in some goo, it may help.
stewart