Wheel bearing

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Dave Bamber
My Cars:

Wheel bearing

Post by Dave Bamber »

The noise from the front O/S of the 205 is getting too loud to ignore, so It's time for action. Am I right in thinking the bearing is a big lump that needs to be moved with a press, and can't be moved in the vice?
reblack68
My Cars:

Post by reblack68 »

You would be correct in thinking that.
It's possible to knock the old one out with a socket and a HUGE hammer and it's quite easy to make a press with screwed rod (something like M12), large washers and the old bearing casing. The effort reqired to draw the bearing in that way isn't too bad. The old inner track nearly always gets stuck on the hub and can only be removed with CAREFUL use of a grinder and chisel. You musn't damage the surface of the hub or the new bearing won't last.
It's really one of those jobs it's best to let a garage do though. Far too much like hard work.
thedadio
My Cars:

Post by thedadio »

Help Just had new wheel bearings installed, seem a bit loose, is this normal? Also My driveshaft nu is the one with the case and R Clip, what is the torque setting for this? I have a choice in the haynes manual of M20x150 or M24x150, which one do i have?
Hope the bearings are okay or ill be gutted the driveshaft nuts are the last thing to do
Dave Bamber
My Cars:

Post by Dave Bamber »

Thanks Richard, thats what I thought. I know a tame garage with a press I can use, or I'll take it up to a local engineering shop and get them to press them off and on.
Stuart G
I don't use a torque setting for the nut, just a long bar and an 18 stone fat git dancing on it. Do it up as tight as you can, should be no play on bearing at all.