xantia rear arm bearings

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

mpr1956
My Cars:

xantia rear arm bearings

Post by mpr1956 »

Hi all. just to report that after scouring the forum for every mention of how to tackle the above, I finally did them today.. and would like to thank you all for the advice!( the biggest problem strangely enough was getting the plastic sleeves to fit inside the arms -they were very tight! ) I am sure that an auto engineer would have held his head in his hands and wept as he watched me hammering the old outer bearing races out with a screwdriver, but everythings back together okay and my ride is back as it should be !! ( about 4 hours for the whole job, including a couple of tea breaks. -in the drive with the car on axle stands.)
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

You obviously didn't use this trick then.
Alan S
mpr1956
My Cars:

Post by mpr1956 »

hi again, I was going to nip to workshops and get that done, but once I'd taken (mangled!) the centre plastic sleeve out, there was approx 1mm of the outer bearing sleeve visible - so the bearing outer was quite easy to tap out with a longish screwdriver. Of course, although I am happy that the job was a good 'un... Time will tell !! ps. I used the gsf kit with skf bearings.
rory_perrett
My Cars: Xantia Exclusive 110Hdi Estate 1999

Post by rory_perrett »

mpr1956
What mileage is your Xantia at. Got used to doing the rear arm bearings approx every 100k miles on the BX but the Xantias (one at 120k and the other at 170k) are not really showing signs of needing doing.
Rory
mpr1956
My Cars:

Post by mpr1956 »

hi rory, just noticed your post... I'm at 174.000 miles as I type this. The drivers' side bearings were completely shot, with the rollers ground into the arm on the inner side and the outer race intact but pitted.. The passenger side was not damaged, with inner and outer bearings intact but dryish, with indentations from the rollers palpable on the wear rings.