picasso bulkhead waterpipe melting

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

schummy10

picasso bulkhead waterpipe melting

Post by schummy10 »

picasso 2.0 hdi> iv bean driving it for 2 weeks with a leaking water pump. so i left it in there to fitted and when i went to collect the guy was filling it with water he started the car and tried to bleed it and the glow plugs and heater pipe at the bulk head nearly went on fire glowing bright red so he tried to patch up the pipe and still leaking he now says the housing might be cracked there were the pipe goes in to and he says that there seems too much pressure in the radiator hose cause when he takes the cap of water comes out of expansion bottle but not bubbling but heater in side the car would roast you. im waiting on him to tell me tomorrow that the head gaskit has gone. please give me some advice?
regards schummy
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

I'm not quite clear what you mean went glowing red ?
Anyways - if this is the first the car does so - AFTER that mechanic has touched it - then HE is in glowing red trouble [8)]
- as he obviously do not know a very basic mechanic's job : bleeding a cooling system [8]
schummy10

Post by schummy10 »

hi its the glow plugs that are connected the coolant pipe at the bulkhead to heat the water right away.
whats the best way of bleeding the system?
jack.dempsey
My Cars: BX TZD @ 250K miles (J reg),
Xantia TD @ 165K miles (R reg),
Xantia 2.1 TD (R reg)
and tow a caravan with them all (not at the same time)

Post by jack.dempsey »

Glow plugs connected to the coolant pipe....? I hope somebody can clarify this for me before my head bursts !!
miked
My Cars: Xsara SX (2003) Last of the line.

Post by miked »

It could be true. See section 15 of http://www.christiantena.pwp.blueyonder ... ation.html
jack.dempsey
My Cars: BX TZD @ 250K miles (J reg),
Xantia TD @ 165K miles (R reg),
Xantia 2.1 TD (R reg)
and tow a caravan with them all (not at the same time)

Post by jack.dempsey »

Hmmm - now I've heard of heaters in the water jacket before (rather than glow plugs - although I suppose the principle is the same). If these 'heaters' are melting through the hoses that can only mean that there's no water in the hoses - i.e. an air lock. Sounds like a recipe for disaster if this can happen. Going back to the original post it now seems that the 'mechanic' (????) was pouring water into the system to replace what had leaked out or escaped whilst repairing the water pump. This will generate much pressure (from heating air) and even more (steam pressure) when splashes of water contact the glowing heaters. This will force water out of the system rather like a head gasket problem. Surely he should have filled and bled the system before energising ignition and thus water heaters - or am I being unkind to him. I wonder if the garage has any insurance cover for the likely fire claim.
schummy10

Post by schummy10 »

hi got the car back there the mechanic is now saying that he suspects the head gasket is about to go as there is a lot of pressure building in the system and thats with no device just holding the squeezing the hose. when the car is ticking over there is no pressure in the radiator hose and thats letting it tick over for about 45min but when you rev the car you can feel the pressure in the hose building. no water is bubbling out through the cap but there is pressure when you remove it.
what would you advice?
schummy
weety
My Cars:

Post by weety »

am i being especially dense but on that link, in the wiring diagrams are there not icons for a yacht, a pint of beer, a set of scales and what appears to be a farting tortoise??
rossd
My Cars:

Post by rossd »

Well if this mechanic had run the engine with no water in it, which it sounds like he could have, its no wonder the head gasket could be on its way out!
cit-tech
My Cars:

Post by cit-tech »

the glow plugs are ther for heating water as the engines soak up so much heat that they never get hot ,these are only used in conditions such as -10 deg ,if they have melted housing change it , i had one when they first came out melted the wiring as well this was due to ecu holding the relay on perm ,had to change ecu as well
P 2501

Post by P 2501 »

It is! It is quite clearly a yacht,scales and a farting tortoise!
Fantastic. So much more interesting than your usual wiring diagrams.
goldfinche
My Cars:

Post by goldfinche »

Dear Sir.
Having carefully looked at the wiring diagram and the symbols it seems to
me that it is quite simple concidering that various goverment departments have oviously
been involved.
The problem was that the department for the control of polution was
not informed that tortoises were declaired an endangered species and therefore could
not be exterminated. This problem was then passed to the health and safety exsecutive
who decided that a polution counter should be made manditory. The tadpole at the top
of the diagram is actually a sperm counter to monitor the drivers health. This is actually
cuningly connected to the scales that ensure that the output of the farting tortoise is
carefully controlled within limits set by the amount of baked beans consumed. Should
anything go wrong this system is fully self regulating by diverting any excess hot air to
the yatch’s sails which in turn is connected to and controls the turdocharger which is
linked to a secret goverment department that controls the amount of bullsh8t fed to the
media in the form of leaks. ( for consumption of the public, in great quantity.)
The trouble of red hot pipes is of course nothing to do with the
goverment but is totally the fault of the driver who trying to save money, having heard of
two extra taxes that were going to be imposed on BB and B, and purchaced a large
quantity of cheap own brand baked beans that had not had any duty paid on them and
did not have the correct octane number.(57)
Signed
Boring old fart that is very fed up with the goverment
nanny.
PS.
There is as far as I know no truth to the rumour that substandard tortoises have
been fitted and all vehicles shall be restricted to 2 MPH.
paranoid
My Cars:

Post by paranoid »

Water coolant mix just below head level, run till damn hot put cold water in KAAAAAABOOM
one new head please!!!!