flippin xantias

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

born2die
My Cars:

flippin xantias

Post by born2die »

Driving home on monday I hear a rattle and a bang from the front passenger side then the brakes started to grind and got worse when I applied them called the r** out and lo and behold a bolt from the calliper had come off and the front suspension had started the expected lhm leak. anyway to cut a long story short the car is now at a mechanics up on the ramps to find out what damage has taken place and I am now crossing all fingers that the bill isnt going to be to large. Might also add that the breaks have now siezed on to compound all the woes and when I went to take the friggin whell off 3 pins off the locking nut key *********** sheared off ( anybody got a spare that might fit). Oh I love the car but i suppose it could have been worse.
there rant over this is the fist of many trips to the local indipendant to come I feel.[:D]
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

How could the bolt come loose in the first place [8)]
born2die
My Cars:

Post by born2die »

oh god knows I know somebody did the bottom ball joint and the pad looks fairly new so????????? but haw did it pass its mot 1 month ago.
np
My Cars:

Post by np »

The pins on my "key" snapped in Italy a few years ago.Couldn`t get a new one from Citroen.The machine shop at work made a new one,but kept snapping.Try`d allsorts(no,not bassets!).In the end,i got some holedrills from B&Q & had to drill the heads off,then i could undo the bolt with somemole grips.Very timeconsuming.But alot cheaper than the few garages that would do it.Most said "no way mate!" to getting them out.
Havn`t botherd replacing them,just have normal bolts all round now.
oilyspanner
My Cars:

Post by oilyspanner »

I believe car thieves use a hammer and chisel, talking to one victim he reckoned they got the alloys off his XR2 as fast as a tyre fitter!
Stewart
weety
My Cars:

Post by weety »

the other trick that works on some locking wheel nuts is to get a cheap socket that is slightly smaller than the locking nut...gently tap it on with a sledgehammer and then undo with a breaker bar
Mosser
My Cars:

Post by Mosser »

I've got a universal socket head that is full of spring loaded pins, you push it against the bolt (whatever type) and it assumes the same shape and the curves in the inside edge allow it to turn bolts quite easily,
Maybe something like this pushed up against the locking wheel bolt would just push its pins into the holes and allow you to remove it ?
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

The locking wheel nuts I've got can't be removed by hammering a socket on, they're round. There is no room for a left left hand threaded locking nut remover down the holes in the wheel, and the same goes for using a hammer and chisel.
If mine decide they don't want to come off or I lose the tool, it'll be drill time.
born2die
My Cars:

Post by born2die »

same here though I have just spoke to my mechanic and some numbnuts hasnt knocked the balljoint across so another mot faliure point and they missed a leaking rear suspension damper so I think it time to call the ministry. Still its worth the effort great car comfy fast and individuall though I am miffed at the car dealeship that sold me the car and the mot testing station who I hope will be getting a visit.