306 whistle/whine through vents & stalling

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

TomH
My Cars:

306 whistle/whine through vents & stalling

Post by TomH »

A curious problem has developed where when the car is warm and idleing a whine can be heard in the cabin coming from somewhere behind the dash (glovebox area) which every now and then gets louder as if it is whistling though the vents. It then stops when you drive off, so only at very low revs. Just wondering if anyone had any ideas as it is annoying! It also rattles down there for a couple of seconds when I switch the ignition on.
TomH
My Cars:

Post by TomH »

OK the whine is getting worse, and happens at low revs.
A couple of times when the car has been hot and stopped at traffic lights etc I have turned the fan on to see if it stops it which it does briefly, but if I turn the fan on too fast and then off again the revs drop drastically and stall the car!! The engine management light comes on and it won't start again for another 10 seconds or so. Any ideas? [:(]
edit: could it be related to the alternator? dash lights and headlights also seem to flicker
yangreen

Post by yangreen »

I'd get yer head near (not too near!) the alternator to see if it is that. If the bearings are shot it would whine and loading it up with the heater fan could cause it to say "enough" I guess.