Typical

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

np
My Cars:

Typical

Post by np »

Nice drive from Bristol to Gatwick this evening.Xantia running nice as usual.Onto the M23,floored it,boom![:0]"what the.."
Bloody exhaust gone[:(!].Had a quick look,seems to have disintergrated where the center section goes into the back box.
Nice loud rattle now,& a lovely loud noise[:I],with a lot of turbo whistle[:D].Still,seems to drive fine,if anything,it flys if you put your foot down in 5th at 50mph.I suppose the turbo spins easy`er as theres no pressure?
Still,it hasn`t let me down since Aug,when the thermostat housing/hose connector broke(which cost £4 to fix)so i`ll forgive it today[:)].
oilyspanner
My Cars:

Post by oilyspanner »

Check carefully before you part with £££, they usually go right on the joint and its a toss up whether you need a back box or the pipe (generally the last half inch of pipe)
Stewart
dnsey

Post by dnsey »

I repaired the joint on mine 3 years ago by fitting an internal steel sleeve and 'leak fix' (it doesn't get very hot that far back). Still going strong!
rory_perrett
My Cars: Xantia Exclusive 110Hdi Estate 1999

Post by rory_perrett »

SNAP – in both senses of the word. Exactly the same thing happened on my 2.1TD last night. Happened on the wife’s 1.9 a couple of years ago. I do concur with Stewart; the wife’s went between the back box and the joint. Mine has gone the pipe side of the joint.
Rory
np
My Cars:

Post by np »

Back box has gone.The few inches of pipe where the center connects onto.Snapped clean off,with a very rusty & holely back box(where it connects).The rattle is the center pipe resting on suspension tiebar.£105 for the rear box.I`m not doing it myself,as i have done before.Can be a right pain in the backside.Local fastfit doing it tommorow.They`ve tied the center pipe up for now with some wire,so at least the rattles gone.
weety
My Cars:

Post by weety »

Same thing went on my estate in the same place.....convinient though as the pipe just rests on the suspension and means you dont have to tie it up anywhere
np
My Cars:

Post by np »

All done now.£100 in the end.Much better now.Must have been blowing for a while as it`s almost silent now.
oilyspanner
My Cars:

Post by oilyspanner »

I paid £60 for the back box, do you want to pay some k*ik fit chap £40 for ten minutes work?
Stewart
np
My Cars:

Post by np »

Having done a few before,it can be a pain of a job lifting it up laying on your back.Its been raining non stop since Wednesday[:(!] & i have no garage,its dark when i get home from work,i`m busy all w/end,£70 from then online shop.So yes,i`d rather pay some quick fit chap £30 for 20 mins work.[:)]
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by rory_perrett</i>

Exactly the same thing happened on my 2.1TD last night.
Rory
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
And the same thing happened on my 2.1 estate. From new, it had only done 29000 when the joint at the front of the box broke. Unfortunately, I was towing my caravan half way across Spain when it happened. A helpful garage in Malaga removed the box, re-welded it and refitted all for 12 quid. The eventual replacement which I fitted, I keep the weld painted with Hammerite.
mattpc

Post by mattpc »

ho I had the same thing bombing down the A1. I did think it was noisy and I was having to plant the throttle but it was only when I stopped at the end of the slip road to q for a roundabout at my destination that I thought "Oh poo something is really wrong". I was a bit miffed actually cos I'd only bought the car 3 weeks before and had said to the seller it sounded like the exhaust was blowing a bit. The evil bugger told me there was no problem, it sounded fine and they're all like that... Dahm my lack of confidence in my motoring ears!!! Anyway quickfit fitted a new back box for me, replacing my nice original wideboy citroen one with a little budget effort[:(!] Then on the same day the girlfriend took it for a spin and managed to dislodge the exhaust so that it ended up mounted far too high up and was rattling like a bad boy. By this time I was non too chuffed as kwickfit had closed. At the time I didn't really know what was wrong and had to make another journey so just resorted to driving is as fast as possible to my next destination to "break the new exhaust in". Oh dear, the foolishness of my spirited youth... Came round a slight bend on the A1 at an indicated xxmph and there was a nice cop car with a speed gun. I braked as much as I could but he still got a fairly tasty reading and quickly pursued me in his Imprezza squad car.
Do you know how fast you were driving sir?
er 75-80mph?
I've got an indicated 95mph+
oh dear!
How much do you pay to insure this?
errr (pause)Quite a lot as I'm only 23
Is it your vehicle?
Yes
Checks database
Ok, you are insured arent you?
Yes
You wouldn't really want your premium pushing up with 3 points would you?
er no sir
Have you been drinking?
1 pint after the gig I was doing yes?
What do you play, where have you been etc?
(long winded answer)
BREATH TEST
I passed it fine, thank god!!!
ROAD SAFETY LECTURE AND MOTORWAY/DUAL CARRIAGEWAY QUIZ TIME
Released and free to leave the squad car.
Drove car home and monday morning it went back to kwickfit where I told them that they had fitted the exhaust very badly and wanted it sorting out for free which they did.
There ends my Xantia exhuast story. (and by the way the devil that sold me the Xantia told me that all the spheres were good. Well they were not, they were all flat and the car bounced everywhere until I took it to Westroen!!!)