hdi engine into an XM ??

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Mosser
My Cars:

hdi engine into an XM ??

Post by Mosser »

Has anyone ever put an hdi engine into a series 2 XM?,
I really want an XM again now as they are so comfortable and the climate control in them is better than by boss's jag, and my wife has all but taken over my Xantia as she says it far more comfortable and easier to drive than her car,
I dont mind running a 2.1td xm manual but would much prefer an hdi engine for the better fuel economy, and i'm not after loads of power either, i find our xantia 1.8i has more that enough for my needs
oilyspanner
My Cars:

Post by oilyspanner »

Everyone seems put off transplanting HDIs by the electrical complications involved, I suppose if you had the donor vehicle and recipient side by side and plenty of time anything is possible.
Stewart
Mosser
My Cars:

Post by Mosser »

Thats the only reservation i would have about trying it, hopefully being an electronics engineer by trade would help me there,
I would expect that the cruise control and fuel computer would stop working after doing such a transplant?
Any ideas on how dificult the engine mounts would be if i put an hdi into an xm ?, and would the 1.9hdi (or 2.2hdi) fit the gearbox bolt pattern of the Xm2.5TD at all ?
I know its unlikely anyone would know the answers to these questions, but it cant hurt to ask !!
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

The HDI has a transponder imobiliser, the aerial for which is somwhere around the ignition switch barrel, so you'd need the keys from the HDI engined car if it is to work.
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

Interesting idea - I'd though about it myself a while ago, but the cost of secondhand HDI's over here is ridiculous - in fact any S/H diesel engine is VERY expensive (how about £1000 för a 5 year old TD12?). And then there's the problem of the immobiliser and the fact that no one seems to know if the gearbox housings match between the HDI and the TD12.
However - if you have a go, you can let us know what fits and what dont!
//NiSk
bikeboyz
My Cars:

Post by bikeboyz »

For the cost of sourcing an HDi engine in the first place, extra parts etc wouldn't be me more cost effective to leave the XUD motor in place, and spend the extra cash on fuel over the running life of the car?
martyhopkirk

Post by martyhopkirk »

I always thought the bottom end of the HDi was the same as the XUD - so would assume the gearbox would fit. However would it be that difficult to graft in the box from the donor HDi and transplant it all as one unit?
Mosser
My Cars:

Post by Mosser »

secondhand hdi's seem to go for about £3-400 here, so cost wouldnt be the issue,
Plus i wouldnt think it would be difficult to override the immobiliser permanantly or just design a little circuit with a pic chip to simulate the immobiliser,
My main concerns were the mechanical side of things and physically fitting and mating it all up,
With a fuel bill of around £500 a month, i dont think it would take too long to recover the cost savings of running an hdi, plus there should be so much space around the engine in an XM bay that servicing should be very easy