TD intercooler

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

rossd
My Cars:

TD intercooler

Post by rossd »

Hi all
Does anybody know the dimensions of the top mount intercooler fitted to the ZX TD, 306, BX etc etc? (I should have measured it prior to selling my old 306!!) Height, width and thickness? Reason being, I'm thinking of fitting an intercooler to my HDi 90, not for performance really but for an efficiency increase. (Read lower charge temp = more mpg!) The one I have measures (WxHxT) 27cm x 12cm x 6.5cm giving an overall volume of about 2 litres. Its small I know, but space it at a premium under the 306's bonnet! I just need to compare that to the 1.9 intercoolers size.
I found a 110 HDi intercooler in the scrapyard which I would guesstimate at about 4 - 5 litres volume, but it was mashed up and leaked, it was also too big for the location I have in mind!
Cheers
Ross
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

My old Audi A4 Avant TDI (00) had quite a small but very effective intercooler - hidden down by the inner LH wheel arch, so I'm not so sure that just plain volume is the deciding characteristic . . .
//NiSk
rossd
My Cars:

Post by rossd »

No definatly not, total cooling surface area is important as are other factors such as the material its made of, and amount of airflow across it. I plan to mount mine just behind the rad, in front of the gearbox, but with air ducted over it from the front of the car. I have placed my thermocouple in the area in mind and the temperature seems to be only 20 deg C over ambient when stuck in traffic, lowering to about 3 deg C over ambient when driving.
Obviously the perfect place would be in front of the rad, but in the 306 there is no room to mount a 'cooler without using slimline fans, this is expensive and more time consuming.
oilyspanner
My Cars:

Post by oilyspanner »

Measured a top mounter in garage, core is 45mm thick 450mm wide 155mm deep add more for overall
Stewart
rossd
My Cars:

Post by rossd »

Cheers, thanks very much!!! Much appreciated.
That means my cooler is only 67% size of standard top mount.... in which case its probably a bit small, but then surely its better than nothing? Can anybody comment?
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

Did Peugeot do the 306 with the HDI 110?
I know they did the Xsara with that engine, you could probably look into it since its intercooler might fit your car (although you might have to replace radiators etc with Xsara ones).
oilyspanner
My Cars:

Post by oilyspanner »

Was at the scrappy recently, Cav turbo D has a nice compact intercooler, you might even squeeze two in!
Stewart
rossd
My Cars:

Post by rossd »

No, the 306 was only made wth the 90 HDi. The same intercooler the Xsara uses is also found in the 406 110, I found one of those but it was too big without doing some modifications. Looks like I'll have to look into getting some slimline fans so there is room for a nice front mount!!
The 'cooler I have is from a Fraud Mondeo (Sorry I swore) and is about the same size as a Cavalier/Astra one, just thicker. The trouble with having two is the pressure drop you will get!
boneyboy
My Cars:

Post by boneyboy »

mount the intercooler in front of the rad for the best efficency bigger the cooler the better try looking at mounting it infront of the rad thats the best place for it
oilyspanner
My Cars:

Post by oilyspanner »

Boneyboy, you were gaining credibiltiy there until you mentioned the dump valve, I tried one on my TD but it was making the spark plugs foul!LOL
Stewart
boneyboy
My Cars:

Post by boneyboy »

stew err you dont have spark plugs on a diesel mate it dosnt make a difference to have a dumpvalve on a diesel just a nice noise lol
oilyspanner
My Cars:

Post by oilyspanner »

Only joking boneyboy,while on this thread does anyone know if the Xantia front mounted intercooler is bigger than my top mount one? the BX has a lot of space in front of the fans, i know Vanny managed it but I have not seen the thing in the flesh yet, while we are at it how are intercoolers measured? volume, surface area?
Stewart
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

Hi Stweart,
Yes the Xantid TD Inter cooler is MUCH bigger then top mounted. Its the SAME size as the rad it sits in front of, and the inlet and outlet pipes are on each side of the rad.
rossd
My Cars:

Post by rossd »

I would mount the 'cooler in front of the rads boneyboy, but as I mentioned, there is no room unless I got rid of the standard fans and fitted slimmer ones!
boneyboy
My Cars:

Post by boneyboy »

i have heard of mounting twin fans behind the rad to draw air over them guess thats an idea