bit of a problem - can hear hissing

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

b21playa

bit of a problem - can hear hissing

Post by b21playa »

normally i dont revv over 2k and today went on the motorway and after 2k i could start hearing a nise and as i put my foot down and let it revv higher, the got louder. sounded like a hiss
dont have a clue whatit cud do, anyone have any ideas?
Also what oil should i use when i service it?
10/40 or 15/50, whats the best and wheres the cheapest to get from?
b21playa

Post by b21playa »

the noise seems to come from drivers side of engine?
might get the intercooler off on the weekend and check the piping
ralph
My Cars:

Post by ralph »

Surely it's the turbo you can hear?!?
Use 10-40 semi-synthetic oil.
b21playa

Post by b21playa »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by ralph</i>

Surely it's the turbo you can hear?!?
Use 10-40 semi-synthetic oil.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
i shouldnt be hsiing though
alsp where can i get 10w/40 semi synthetic oil from, loads have 15w/40 like gsf
bikeboyz
My Cars:

Post by bikeboyz »

something like Millers XFE should do the trick. about £15 for 5L. see http://www.millersoils.net
hissing? air leak with the vacuum pipe to the servo? Exhaust manifold gasket? or turbo problem?
b21playa

Post by b21playa »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by bikeboyz</i>

something like Millers XFE should do the trick. about £15 for 5L. see http://www.millersoils.net
hissing? air leak with the vacuum pipe to the servo? Exhaust manifold gasket? or turbo problem?
i was looking at my old oil i put in my other car, and it was sinta quantum 10w/40 semi-synethic from gsf i think
where should i be looking exactly to check what could be at fault
is the exhaust manifold gasket the one between the intercooler and exhaust?
bikeboyz
My Cars:

Post by bikeboyz »

In all 3 Pug diesels I have owned the gasket between the acutal cylinder head, and the exhaust manifold which bolts on to the head have failed. Chuffing/whistling was heard when driving, especially under accelleration. Look for soot around the area, becuase the engine in inclined you'll have to remove the intercooler which sits on top to see anything.
b21playa

Post by b21playa »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by bikeboyz</i>

In all 3 Pug diesels I have owned the gasket between the acutal cylinder head, and the exhaust manifold which bolts on to the head have failed. Chuffing/whistling was heard when driving, especially under accelleration. Look for soot around the area, becuase the engine in inclined you'll have to remove the intercooler which sits on top to see anything.
is it hard to replace?
bikeboyz
My Cars:

Post by bikeboyz »

Yes and no. Basically, disconnect the exhaust from the manifold to give you some movement. Unbolt the manifold and let it slide back, you may need an extra pair of hands to hold it, as you wont get it out past the bulk head. Remove, and refit a new one. On turbo models of course you will have the intercooler on the top and associated bits n pieces.
b21playa

Post by b21playa »

Yes and no. Basically, disconnect the exhaust from the manifold to give you some movement. Unbolt the manifold and let it slide back, you may need an extra pair of hands to hold it, as you wont get it out past the bulk head. Remove, and refit a new one. On turbo models of course you will have the intercooler on the top and associated bits n pieces.
ive taken the intercooler off before which is east but dont know about the manifold
BagStar
My Cars:

Post by BagStar »

I don't know if you've solved the problem, but I once had the same problem, and it was the turbo-intercooler hose was slightly loose.
The noise increased when the engine went faster, but there was only a marginal difference in loss of power.
If so just tighten the hose up.