Gear Problem

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

tonyb1
My Cars:

Gear Problem

Post by tonyb1 »

Hi, I just had a new clutch cable put on (broken clip syndrome) but I now find it a struggle to put it into first gear whe I stop at lights etc, but it's ok from startup, just plays up when in traffic. I end up having to use a fair bit of force to push it into gear, even then it seems to stop in two places on the way in. Reverse can also be difficult at times, is this something I can put right, or is the clutch on it's way out? Thanks.
soupy_sam
My Cars:

Post by soupy_sam »

My Xantia TD has had a new clutch and a recon gearbox and I get the same problem.
Will be interested to know the answer as well
Sam
weety
My Cars:

Post by weety »

might be the control rods from the gearchange to the gearbox if they got slightly bent or something that might stop it going into gear properly.....is your gearchange really er sloppy??
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Is your cable adjusted correctly - or is the clutch breaking close to the floor. If the clutch is not freeing properly then it will be difficult to engage gears.
jeremy
crapday
My Cars:

Post by crapday »

why didn't citroen use hydraulic clutch?
Homer
My Cars: Current:
Volvo V60 D4 180

Previous:
BX16RS (two of),
BX19TZI,
Xantia 2.0i saloon,
Xantia 2.0 Exclusive CT turbo Break,
Peugeot 807 2.0 HDi 110,
Renault Grand Scenic, 2.0 diesel (150bhp)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi 160 which put me off French cars possibly forever

Post by Homer »

They did on the HDi and Turbo CT.
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

I suppose having a reservoir, master and slave cylinder, steel and flexy pipes and fluid is an advantage over a cable?
have had a number of hydraulically operated clutches over the years and I can't say I've found them particularily reliable. Best I suppose was on a 1.8 Marina which dropped its slave cylinder piston into the clutch when I removed it. No noise so I assumed it was stuck in the grease in the bell housing - until I went round a bend about 1000 miles later and there was an almighty bang as it flew out and hit the bulkhead!
Oh happy days!
jeremy
oilyspanner
My Cars:

Post by oilyspanner »

I have a similar one to investigate today, siblings 405 pug TD gearshift has become vile since local garage replaced fuel pump! wot I hear you say thats not related, my money is on the engine having been lifted for access to the pump and a bent gearshift rod....more later.
Stewart
tonyb1
My Cars:

Post by tonyb1 »

I noticed one difference when in first gear with no accelleration, when I used to raise the clutch slowly the car would edge forward slowly, it now does this at a much lower point, I don't have a 'sloppy' gearchange lol, I think it may need adjustment, is it a difficult job to re-adjust the cable as Jeremy suggests to make the biting point a bit higher?. Thanks
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Its sadly quite common for professionals to fit a new clutch cable and not bother to set it up properly. If its like our 1994 ZX 1.9D (and BX Turbo)the clutch is operated by a vertical shaft going through the bell housing from top to bottom. At the top of this shaft is a flat bar to which the end of the cable is connected. There is a nut and a locknut on the end of the cable and to adjust it you loosen the locknut and turn the nut a few turns clockwise then re-lock.
On the ZX the adjustment is according to pedal height (Nice pics in Haynes!) Basically it should break some way from the floor but must be set so that there is some free play at the top before the cable becomes tight.
There are different systems fitted to ZX from sept or oct 1994 and you may have something different on your car.
jeremy
tonyb1
My Cars:

Post by tonyb1 »

Hi guys, just an update. Car went in for MOT today, passed :-) I asked them to look at the clutch cable. It did need a slight adjustment to raise the clutch slightly. It now changes smooth, just like new. Sam, sounds like you need to adjust the cable.