BX TZD has to go

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

jack.dempsey
My Cars: BX TZD @ 250K miles (J reg),
Xantia TD @ 165K miles (R reg),
Xantia 2.1 TD (R reg)
and tow a caravan with them all (not at the same time)

BX TZD has to go

Post by jack.dempsey »

It is with much regret that I announce that my 'J' reg BX TZD has to go. This car has been owned by me since 50K miles and has been carefully maintained over the years. This has involved all the usual stuff including 'timing belt changes' at sensible mileages, regular applications of waxoyl to the cracks and crevasses below, and regular WD40 applications to under-bonnet and inner-door electrical connections. For all the care given the 'old girl' has reliably returned 50 MPG over a grand total of almost a quarter of a million miles, only failing once to complete a journey (last year when the octopus bust a gut and had to be replaced). Even the front to rear pipes have been replaced (about 12 months ago) with non the corroding type. Finished in black with a mirror finish and with the TZD (GTI) interior she's been replaced by a Xantia with little more than half the mileage. We had a tow bar fitted at 210K miles which caused the fitter to comment it had to be the highest mileage he'd fitted a tow bar to. Sad thing is that on ebay it'll be lucky to reach £100 which would only cover the price of couple of tyres.
Oscar Too
My Cars:

Post by Oscar Too »

Jack
Why does it have to go??!? [:(]
oilyspanner
My Cars:

Post by oilyspanner »

That one is a nice car Jack, sureley someone on the forum will take it over?
Stewart
jack.dempsey
My Cars: BX TZD @ 250K miles (J reg),
Xantia TD @ 165K miles (R reg),
Xantia 2.1 TD (R reg)
and tow a caravan with them all (not at the same time)

Post by jack.dempsey »

Hmmmmm - intersting. I'll see if I can post some pictures of the 'old girl' (maybe of the car too !!) I suppose really I don't want to see it go - but the practicality is that it would only spend the majority of the time locked away in a garage - and that's not a good thing, particularlt for a Citroen (I've always found that they're less likely to develop faults if they're being used regularly). Having said that in days gone by it used to be responsible for delivering me to and from work - which was a 90 miles each way commute - plus occasional trips to just about anywhere in the UK (this is how the miles got put on). Now it a diesel powered shopping trolley plus one day a week to take my wife to her volunteer work - a mere 13 miles each way. I suppose that I could list a few little things that need sorting to make it 100% and if keeping it I'd want to get these done. It's all my fault really - I've been running a Xantia 1.9TD and using this to tow our caravan. When I spotted a Xantia 2.1 TD locally (on e-bay) I went for a look and decided it was for me. I bought it and am currently bringing it up to my minimum spec - I've overhauled the brakes, the rear calipers had the dreaded corrosion resulting in cheese shaped rear pads and very nearly metal to metal contact between disc and caliper, and I've started my preventive maintenance treatments with Waxoyl and WD40. I've also wrestled with the auxiliary drive belt which some 'monkey'had fitted on the wrong 'groove' resulting in the belt rubbing against the adjacent metalwork on its winding journey around all those pulleys. I'm nearly there now and expect to announce it as primary vehicle soon - resulting in the 1.9 TD becoming the shopping trolley and of course the current 'situation' with the BX TZD.