Cruise control MPG

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

Robin
My Cars:

Cruise control MPG

Post by Robin »

Have just done a round trip of some 500 miles all on motorway except for 45 minutes getting lost up and down hills trying to find an address in Bristol! I was able to use the cruise control for a very large part of the journey. Set at a steady 80mph the car, a 2.5TD XM estate, has returned 39.8 mpg on the computer and a genuine brim to brim return of 38.58 mpg. Weather a bit wet, not windy & three passengers and luggage.
I found the car held the speed very reliably to within 100rpm regardless but other drivers were surprisingly erratic in comparison and I guess I would have been too without the control.
My thought, could I have done better in terms of mpg without the cruise control?
Just a minor thing, in an earlier inconclusive trial by running 100 miles up the A1 at a steady 70 mph on cruise control it indicated 42 mpg. R
VisaGTi16v

Post by VisaGTi16v »

Ive only used the cruise control a couple of times in my Supra as ive not had it long and I normally only drive in 30 limits etc. However im sure it must use more fuel as when its on it tends to get back to speed as quickly as possible and you can hear it using more throttle than if I am manually doing it. Cant really say.
As for other drivers speeds, tell me about it. It always cracks me up when I get on the motorway and sit at a steady 80 and go past people then a minute later they go thrashing past when ive not moved off 80 so what on earth they are doing I dont know :)