found the problem (AX)

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

bad driver
My Cars:

found the problem (AX)

Post by bad driver »

Ok, took the rocker cover off and its full of gunk, main breather to air housing is clogged to hell. I think this may be the issue. I'm about to clear it all out and give it some fresh oil and filter but noticed the tappets seem quite loose so heres my question
Hi, its a 95/96 1 litre AX (carb model) I need to know the valve clearances please. Also are the inlet valves the front or back?
Anyone know the spark plug gap size on these as well? Might as well check it all out while the bonnets up.
Thanks
dan.2cv
My Cars:

Post by dan.2cv »

Inlet is 0.2mm, exhaust 0.4mm engine cold.
If the vales are set front/rear, they should correspond to the nearest manifold.
Your car is also unlikely to have a carb due to it's age (it must have a catalytic converter) so you'll notice you can't adjust the idle speed and mixture.
A good way to clear pipes is to hold your thumb over the end, tip some GUNK degreaser in the top, thumb over the other end (as well) then give it a good shake.
Electrode gap will be 0.65 if your engine code is CDZ(TU9M/Z) stamped on the right hand front of the block looking from under the bonnet. (to be honest it's unlikely to be anything else unless it's had an engine change for an older one)