Noob servicing questions!!

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

mattpc

Noob servicing questions!!

Post by mattpc »

Firstly, where's the best place to trolley jack the Xantia from? It's not at all clear from the picture in the Haynes? Is there any cahnce someone could be kind enough to take a photo as I don't want to ruin my car by jacking in the wrong place!!
Secondly, I can't get the darn oil filter off. Have a draper branded chain removal device but no joy, it doesn't seem to fit the grooves of the purflux filter very well. Should I be turning clockwise or anti clockwise to remove it?[V]
Thanks all..
PowerLee
My Cars: Current - Slightly modified 2016 Pug 308 Puretech 130 Allure
Past:
2003 - 206 GLX TU3JP & 206 SE ET3JP4
1995 - 405 Executive XU10J2
1996 - 406 GLX XU10J4R
1994 - 405 GTX XU10J2

Post by PowerLee »

Oil filter is a normal thread, So anti clockwise should undo it.
Sometimes its easier to remove the filter with the engine warm, But dont burn yourself.
mattpc

Post by mattpc »

cant remove it warm as i've drained the engine oil!![:D]
PowerLee
My Cars: Current - Slightly modified 2016 Pug 308 Puretech 130 Allure
Past:
2003 - 206 GLX TU3JP & 206 SE ET3JP4
1995 - 405 Executive XU10J2
1996 - 406 GLX XU10J4R
1994 - 405 GTX XU10J2

Post by PowerLee »

As a last resort, You could always stab a large screwdriver through it near the bottom & undo it that way, Be carefull!
np
My Cars:

Post by np »

The place where i use a trolly jack is on the front subframe.You have to slide the jack in behind the front wheels at a angle.You will see a round indentation with a bolt/nut head there,at the side of the subframe.Hanyes book,page 1A 5,front underbody view.Bottom of the pic,ither side of the number9 marker.Left & right sides of the subframe,theres 2 bolts each side.I jack it there.Remember the suspension has to be on max high to jack it up.My jack JUST lifts it high enough to get a wheel off.
Also,chock the rear wheels as the handbreak works on the fronts.You proberly know all that anyway,so forgive me if you do.[:)][:I]
Oil filter.I use a 1/2" drive "spider".Fits onto your socket wrench,with 3 arms.Push it over the end of the filter,then as you turn it,the arms bite into the filter,gripping it as you undo it.Need to use a few extention bars on the wrench,but works a treat.I got if from machine mart,about £7 i think.Although you should be able to get 1 anywhere.I`ll have a look & post a link,so you can see what it looks like.
Sorry,cant take any photos.
np
My Cars:

Post by np »

Best thing i`ve used for oil filter removal.Although further to the above,you will need a flexie joint as well.
http://www.machinemart.co.uk/product.as ... 2076&g=111
Richard Gallagher
My Cars:

Post by Richard Gallagher »

If you've got a Purflux filter fitted, get the Purflux filter removal tool from GSF. It just slips over the grooves in the top of the filter and gives a very solid fixing. Best of all its very slim and is the only tool I can get into the tight space on my TD Xantia.
np
My Cars:

Post by np »

Yeah,it is a bit tight down there!When i 1st got the car,i thought being where the filter is,all the oil would drain out of it & into the engine.WRONG![:0][:(!]Trying to turn the filter the other way up to stop covering the engine block in oil is a art in itself![:D][}:)][V]
CommY
My Cars:

Post by CommY »

My money is on a large screwdriver hammered through both sides of the filter. Never fails and costs nothing as the filter only needs hand tightening to seal properly.
When jacking the rear never jack on the flat bar that runs accross just behind the sphere as it will bend. Jack on the mounting pivot point of the rear suspension and place an axle stand under the bar mentioned earlier BUT with a thick chunk of wood that runs between the both sides that the bar is fixed to.
Richard Gallagher
My Cars:

Post by Richard Gallagher »

The tool I mentioned above is N98760 £6. Bargain I reckon just for the convienice.
dnsey

Post by dnsey »

A professional 'steel strap' filter removal tool is a good investment if you are considering doing more advanced work on your car - it doubles as a very efficient sphere removal tool.
dnsey

Post by dnsey »

This sort of thing: (mine's a bit more robust, but probably over the top for most purposes)
[urlhttp://www.trueshopping.co.uk/product.php?pid= ... d+Wrenches][/url]
mattpc

Post by mattpc »

Cool, thanks for your help guys. Cos it's a sunday I think I'm going to have a go with a screwdriver and if that fails I'll go and buy another tool!
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

If you have got a Haynes you have allready got the photo, look at the picture of the front underside and at the steering rack bolt (No 8) location, use that part of the subframe between the two steering rack bolts to lift both front wheels together, place a piece of 3" x 2" wood on the jack to help spread the load and prevent it slipping.
Place axle stands near the subframe rear mounting points, the two rearmost bolts on each side of the subframe, again use suitable wooden battens between the stand and the subframe.
If you lift the car from one corner a twisting moment is put on the body.
If you buy Perflux filters by the proper Perflux tool.
Dave
mattpc

Post by mattpc »

Thanks for your help guys. I bought the tool np suggested in the end from Halfords and with a bit more pain and straining managed to get the old filter off. Done the oil, oil filter and air filter and just got back from the test drive. It's driving good so I'll double check the dip-stick again in a bit and then I've just got to get the water out of the fuel filter.