Shudder on tapping brakes lightly

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Mickeydread@hotmail.com
My Cars:

Shudder on tapping brakes lightly

Post by Mickeydread@hotmail.com »

My citroen xantia 1995 16 valve 1.8 litre has a shudder when braking. I changed the front discs and brake pads and it improved significantly. However after a few miles drive the problem seems to be returning. Could it be the brakes need to bleed. My mechanic friend does not think that it is the problem. The shudder seems to get worse when brakig in a corner. Other wise the car works wwel outside the fact that it is a little noisy but i think me silencer is blown.
andy99

Post by andy99 »

I had the same problem on my xantia but then it went away. On my last car the same problem was warped discs. But im not too sure what the problem is here. May be its something to do with the accumulator sphere?? (that was only a rough guess, so dont laugh if im completely wrong!!)
Maybe Dave knows, if he reads this, He's the expert!
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

Your mate's right, even if there was air in the brakes it wouldn't cause these symptoms.
Things that can cause it are worn/loose suspension bushes and ball joints, bulges on the tyres, grease or oil contamination of the disc, and disc run out.
Disc run out is caused by dirt on the mating surface of the hub or the disc and also by poor quality machining of the disc.
Dave