Replacing 2003 Blingo radio

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Ian the bewildered
My Cars:

Replacing 2003 Blingo radio

Post by Ian the bewildered »

When the BX got too flaky for regular transport, bought the Blingo (great for room but the dogs can't see out of the back window so well). It was secondhand and fitted with tape player. Thought I'd buy a CD/Mpeg tuner for myself at Christmas. Halfords assured me they could fit a Sony that would work. After six weeks and various plugs and converters later I realise that this was bollocks.
A mate with C4 reckons I should have read the manual which says only Citroen radios should be fitted (they would say that wouldn't they!)
Citroen uk site says they only do a CD tuner (no Mpeg) for Blingo Multispace and want £245 for it!
Is there any alternative?
Dave Bamber
My Cars:

Post by Dave Bamber »

Welcome to the forum.
In my 2002 series 1, I fitted a £80 CD/radio from Argos with no problem. All cars from around 1997ish have ISO conectors, as do all new CD players, so it should just plug and play. Sometimes the +tive conections have to be swapped but this should be covered in the fitting instuctions.
Ian the bewildered
My Cars:

Post by Ian the bewildered »

Blingo is 2003 Multispace HDi.
I understand this is of some significance.
Dave Bamber
My Cars:

Post by Dave Bamber »

Sorry Ian, I posted a reply without thinking it was a 2003. The only reason I ask is because if it was a very early one, it my not be ISO fitted. Is yours the newer face lifted one? If so, I don't know a lot about them I'm afraid.
Stuart McB
My Cars:

Post by Stuart McB »

ALl modern car have (should) the same fittings for stereo's. It's the multi display that lets the side down. Has the berlingo got a seperate display and is that's what giving you problems or is it that you cant find a unit to fit and work?
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

being a 2003 model i'll assume this is the facelift berlingo which has a Bi VAN/CAN multiplex network rather than just basic multiplexing.the radio does have ISO connections but they are wired for multiplexing,what you need to do is have the ignition on & original radio switched on then swich of the radio using its own power button,switch the ignition off then disconect the radio plugs.if you dont do it in this order you will have problems with your multifunction display.
there is no ignition feed at these connectors so you need to wire your own one in,the ideal place is the cigarette lighter.the new radio should come with its own small adaptor harness,connect your ign live to the appropriate wire on this harness.pins 7 & 8 of the power connector on the car should be you pemanant live & earth,check that when you plug this into you new radio that the wires correspond.you do not want any of the cars other wire connecting to the radio so if any are cut & insulate the connecting wires on your new radios harness.plug the speaker connector in as normal.if you follow that everything should work fine except you wont have a radio display on the multifunction display & the remote controls wont work .hope you understood that.
Richard Gallagher
My Cars:

Post by Richard Gallagher »

As far as the ignition feed on Berlingos you can pick one up from the radio connectors because I have just fitted a hands free phone kit to mine by way of using its ignition feed from the radio connector. I found it by using a multimeter.
wrinklet1
My Cars:

Post by wrinklet1 »

Ian,
Give Sony Uk a phone call, they will tell you what you need to fit the radio. I have a Blaupunkt DAB52 mp3,digital,am-fm,Cd and mmc unit in my Xantia and I phoned up Blaupunkt up, they fell over backwards to help me, giving me all the part numbers and local stockist.
Worth a phone call at least.
Paul
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Richard Gallagher</i>

As far as the ignition feed on Berlingos you can pick one up from the radio connectors because I have just fitted a hands free phone kit to mine by way of using its ignition feed from the radio connector. I found it by using a multimeter.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
richard- could you do me a favour & check the pin number and if possible the code printed on the wire you used for the ign feed on the radio power connector ? is it an accesory feed or ignition feed ? on the old style ones pin 6 used to be an accesory feed but this seems to be discontinued on the new style berlingos with the different network setup.
Richard Gallagher
My Cars:

Post by Richard Gallagher »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by wheeler</i>
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
richard- could you do me a favour & check the pin number and if possible the code printed on the wire you used for the ign feed on the radio power connector ? is it an accesory feed or ignition feed ? on the old style ones pin 6 used to be an accesory feed but this seems to be discontinued on the new style berlingos with the different network setup.
[/quote]
Yes, at some point over the weekend I'll whip the radio out and give the layout. One useful thing to know about when fitting a hands free kit is the pin to mute the radio when using the phone and show that in the dash display.