Insurance

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

rossnunn
My Cars:

Insurance

Post by rossnunn »

ok so the TAX runs out on the ZX at the end of next month, I'm planning to take it offf the road to sort the brakes & engine. Also the insurance is going to be up for renewal soon & I'll need a good quote.
The car's 'lightly' modified, the engine will be the most major mod, as I'm planning to put either a 1.4 MPi a 1.6i or 1.9TD in it. The egnine will not be modified in any way & all can be found (with the exception of the MPi) under the bonnet of a ZX.
I'm 20 with 0 NCB, but have been driving since I was 18 & have no points or convictions, I live in a low crime area & the car is alarmed & garaged over night.
So who's the best company for me? - before I start throught the yellow pages!
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

Norwich Union Direct proved relatively cheap for me although their call centres are in India. Direct line were similar in price but I'm with Liverpool Victoria now.
rossnunn
My Cars:

Post by rossnunn »

will they take the fact its been modified?
Stempy
My Cars: C5 V6 Mk1 assainated by wife
Renault Kangoo 1.6 auto, tarted up and remapped
Still missing the Xantia V6
Not missing the AX

Post by Stempy »

Just renewed my insurance and having trawled the net for the best quote I reckon you're in for a hard time. Most stipulate no mods whatsoever and your age is against you, and with no NCB it sounds like you'll need deep pockets. Elephant.co.uk do a thing where you can pay for 10 months insurance and still get a years NCB, so it's a bit cheaper and you build up your NCB quicker. I went with Lloyds who were the cheapest, but I'm an old git.
oilyspanner
My Cars:

Post by oilyspanner »

Try confused dot com, got me a lot of quotes quickly
Stewart
martyhopkirk

Post by martyhopkirk »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by rossnunn</i>

will they take the fact its been modified?
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Very few companies will - and those that do load the premiums for young drivers (for young read under 30).
It all depends on teh Mods, a lot of people dont tell the insurer if its
A) not visible to the naked eye
B) very easily removed
Direct line will not insure anyone with a device which "makes the car drive faster".
So that would be an accelerator pedal then?
ItDontGo
My Cars:

Post by ItDontGo »

Norwich Onion did me a quote on my AX for £240. I know its a crappy little car an' all but I'm only 24 so I thought that was quite cheap. Even my BX (IG-15) was only 600 something.
I got a quote online and it was cheaper than by phone even with the same company! Considerably cheaper. I suppose they quoted me happy. On their website at least.
VLL
My Cars:

Post by VLL »

Got my renawal in the other week for my ***cough***unmodified***cough*** VolcaneTD, its went down by £30 to £184 fully comp, thats E-Sure and i'm 29, been driving since I was 17, never had points or an accident.
Daniel B
My Cars:

Post by Daniel B »

Hi Ross,
Adrian Flux are usually pretty good for modded cars, though a years NCB would go a long way me thinks.
Bell Direct are also pretty good, and you can do an online quote with them, I suspect changing the engine will be a 'phone them up' job, but perhaps the online quote will tell you if the call is even remotely worthwhile.
I'm almost certainly a sap, but I declare everything I have done to my car, even the minor styling mods - means I pay a bit more, but I sleep well at night knowing I'm properly covered and they have minimal chance of weasiling their way out of a claim - not that I even hope to have to make one of course!
Good luck!
Dan
tomsheppard
My Cars:

Post by tomsheppard »

These organisations ought to be named and shamed in the useful links column if you have their addresses for the benefit of the social deviants amongst us who think that putting bigger engines in cars is a good idea. Should be horsewhipped, the lot of them (now please stop hitting me.)
bikeboyz
My Cars:

Post by bikeboyz »

Try Carole Nash. www.carolenash.com they were £200 cheaper than the lowest quote I previously had.
pikecrazy
My Cars:

Post by pikecrazy »

Liverpool victoria seems cheapest for me by far!
drpau
My Cars:

Post by drpau »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by pikecrazy</i>

Liverpool victoria seems cheapest for me by far!
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Ive heard they have changeed their policy with respect to modding- with their new policies the only mod you can have is alloys. Dont know how true that is though....
samcro

Post by samcro »

Elephant seem to be pretty cheap for young males. Am in the same age category as rossnun and in a relatively low crime area, though the cars i've got quotes for have been unmodded. Yeah, they do a 10mth NCB accelerator scheme
I've found that putting my sister (2yrs older than me) on as a named driver often brings it down a bit (even though she probably won't be driving it much it makes it worth it!)
TomH
My Cars:

Post by TomH »

shop around... I have found in the past that those that people recommend to you as cheap for them can turn out expensive for you! (Tesco and Norwich Union for example are two I was recommended but turned out a lot more than my lowest quote)