1.9 TD Xantia or 1.9D Xantia Question

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

pete@co.uk
My Cars:

1.9 TD Xantia or 1.9D Xantia Question

Post by pete@co.uk »

Im thinking somtime in the future of buying a xantia 1.9 TD as i allready own a 1.9 D Xantia and im happy with it, but ive heard the TD version is a lot more truble abit faster than the car i have now is this true id like to have your opinions guys.
pete...........................
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

The turbo doesn't have any significant troubles that the non-turbo doesn't have. The turbo is slightly less fuel efficient but a lot faster. The turbo / intercooler setup is reliable, the turbo engines are more sensitive to abuse i.e. running a TD with no water in it will kill it more quickly than doing the same in a no turbo.
I've run 2 TD Xantias and done about 55k miles between them without the slightest trouble from their engines. In fact, all I've had to do to the engines is change oil, filters and glowplugs and check on the water level.
johnny
My Cars:

Post by johnny »

Ran a '97 1.9TD Xantia for nearly 3 years until someone "killed it" no engine troubles at all.(150,000 miles in 3 years)amazing what the taxi trade does to a car.
Passed away with 250,000 miles on the clock.
Now running Xantia 2.0 HDi currently with only 125,000 miles behind it. Hope this one last as well as the 1.9 TD
P 2501

Post by P 2501 »

Another XUD "myth" i think here. The turbo version - if looked after, is no more trouble at all than the NA version.
As mentioned above the turbo/intercooler setup is reliable and well proven and certain other parts of the engine are suitably uprated to withstand extra forces.
The extra torque/driveability and overall enjoyment far outstrips any miniscule risk of lower reliability.
np
My Cars:

Post by np »

I`ve had mine since 105k,3yrs.Had it boosted at about 110k.Now on 143k miles with no trouble at all.Just normal servicing,belts etc.Regular oil changes & running the engine at idle for 10 secs when starting & before switching off(to let the oil circulate around the turbo)are key to turbo long life.The turbo may "only" have 20 or so bhp more than a N/A,but it has about 60 lbft more of torque than the 1.9D.Thats what makes it faster through the gears etc.Mine has 115bhp,but i still get 40mpg average to work.Motorway & fast B roads,traffic on the way home.
oilyspanner
My Cars:

Post by oilyspanner »

Having owned cars with and without turbochargers, I would be very reluctant to go back to non turbo diesels, there is a downside in economy but it is not too great if your right foot is not too heavy. Sevicing costs increased only due to needing to use better quality engine oil other than that turbochargers are as near to the free lunch as you can get.
Stewart
pete@co.uk
My Cars:

Post by pete@co.uk »

Hi
Well thanks guys for your opinions that puts my mind to rest about Xantia TD,s its just that i heard from a reliabile source a citroen machanic that TD,s were trouble and to steer clear of them i must admit i miss the extra power that a turbo diesel would give, but im also happy with the reliabity of the non TD. But after what all you guys here have said about them i am more confident now These are the things i heard...........1.leaky turbo,s..........2. turbo,s prone to go down completely.........3. clutch cable more prone to break the plastic clip. ........4 a lot more clutch problems than the non TD.......... So you see now my reasons for asking. So later on this year ill probibly be looking out for a nice xantia TD on the strength of what ive heard here. If anyone has had any trouble with a TD can you let me know and what it was becouse im seriusly considering one but it sounds good up to now.
thanks guys
pete.............................................
np
My Cars:

Post by np »

Before i had mine,my Dad had a brand new TD est,P reg 96 company car.He did about 150k miles(mostly m/way),including a lot of towing.In all that time,apart from routine servicing,it had 2 new sets of spheres,& 2 clutches.The 1st at 95k,the 2nd at 110k,as the 1st one was faulty.It was still juddering.Never had any of the probs listed above..
In the 40 odd k miles i`ve had mine,i havn`t had any of the above probs.No record of the clutch being done before i got the car.Although i do get a bit of slip when pulling away quickly with the caravan.
The amount of TD`s on the road,you should be able to find a good one.
pete@co.uk
My Cars:

Post by pete@co.uk »

Hi np
Thanks for your reply i shall certinly keep that in mind in my search for a TD later this year but for the moment im happy with my xantia 1.9 d apart from the front spheres that need changing! and as this is the first diesil car ive owned im very impressed with it but i would love to upgrade to a TD at some point in the future but i was worried about the probs i heard about, but it now seems all my fears have been unfounded.
pete.....................................