Dash lights

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

tris

Dash lights

Post by tris »

My last dash light on my AX has died leaving me with a giant black void in front of me when driving at night.
So, it seems like time to replace the bulbs! Does anyone have first hand experience of this, do I need any of those silly torx bits? For my parts list, how many bulbs do I need, where do I buy them and has anyone had success with using LEDs?
many thanks,
tris.
gardenpeas
My Cars:

Post by gardenpeas »

good luck it's a bugger of a job done it three times now different ax's never brought any bulbs just took them of other i'm cheap there are a fair few prob 15 in all
this is for later shape ax might be same for old one
you need to remove steering wheel,
then remove the 3 screws that hold the indicator stalks these are revealed when steering wheel is removed (can't remove part yet)
now for the steering collum cover 6 srew all together then lots of wigerling to remove the lot stalks an all.
now the surround pull the heated screen and fog switch out remove two screws from bottom then the two in the roof of surround
now you can see the binnacle yay
four more nuts and a pull( descent one speedo cable will detach), it's off the binnacle then has 5 fixings for the electrics the bulbs just twist out.
that was the easy part
putting it back together is the bugger
you need to detach speedo cable from gearbox requires removal of airbox
you can follow cable from bulkhead it comes out from passenger side
then feed some cable through be gentle to minimise kinking cable
you should now be able to attach cable back on to speedo a bit of grease on the cable end is a good idea,
then it's just putting everything back together
point to watch
wires been in the correct place
not leaving the fixings for the fog and rear screen out of reach
not losing the 2 mental clips that the small top binnacle screws srew into
make sure you put collum surround and stalk on together
refitting of speedo cable to box will skin your knuckles
any question just ask
you would have thought it would be easy to change a bulb
hope this covers it
tris

Post by tris »

Oh my god! that sounds a bit of a pain to do! Think I will leave it till I go home in easter where I have use of a garage. Yeah mine is a late model 1 litre like urs.
Just changed the head gasket so this job should be within my skills. I just hate playing around with the dash as I always have to have a few goes at reassebly as it seems I always get an annoying creak or rattle afterwards. Plus there is the risk breaking the plastic or the gentle skin on my poor hands[:p] aww. Thanks very much for your help.
gardenpeas
My Cars:

Post by gardenpeas »

it's certainly easy to break something and the speedo will never be the same guarenteed i just got a girl i know to put the last dash together under my guise let them skin there knuckles they love been included girl power
good axing to u
wrinklet1
My Cars:

Post by wrinklet1 »

Hi, Have a look at this website for dashboard LED's and lots of other LED's for other lights
www.ultraleds.co.uk
Paul
cheesesliceking

Post by cheesesliceking »

Is yours a Mk1 or 2? the mk1 is easy enough no screws, just disconnect the wiring at th rear of the dash through the fuse box hole.
Mk2 is different not sure how, more like the Saxo dash.
yangreen

Post by yangreen »

Or just strap a torch to the top of the steering column!
Well, it's a temporary fix! Me and my girlfriend have pulled the dash out of her AX because the speedo cable failed (even more fun!). I don't remember removing the dash being too much of a problem and we swapped binacles too which meant removing two of them! Easily done in a morning.
brianr.uk

Post by brianr.uk »

did my sons mk2 ax a few weeks ago and all is as gardenpeas says but watch when pulling the binnacle out,try and get you hand behind it asap to dissconect the speedo cable if it hasn't come off,i pulled too hard and seperated the cable.there are only four bulbs that actualy light the instruments,they are the tiny capless bulbs and will pull out of the holders,places will try to sell you the bulb and holder complete.good luck with this project
Brian.
crapday
My Cars:

Post by crapday »

My dash lights went so I went to halfords got four blue LEDs wired them up to a spare conector that hat wires to conect to the dash lighting. now the dash lights upnice and bright. Fixing the dash lights on my xantia looked a pain.
tris

Post by tris »

yeah its a MkII, (94 model)
Gonna have a play with it this weekend.