mixing petrol with desiel

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

crapday
My Cars:

mixing petrol with desiel

Post by crapday »

hi all does any one know what will happen if you put about 1 litre of petrol in a full tank of desiel. will it do a lot a damage
mezuk04
My Cars:

Post by mezuk04 »

From other posts ive read I believe the answer is no, especially with such a small amount such as a litre, though the usual advice is to keep filling it up to water it down when you've used a bit.
Regards
paranoid
My Cars:

Post by paranoid »

Gives the injectors a bit of a clearout in my experience[:I]
Robin
My Cars:

Post by Robin »

That percentage mixture will be fine. In fact we used to put about a 5% mixture of petrol in diesel to reduce the waxing in winter. Robin
wrinklet1
My Cars:

Post by wrinklet1 »

It wont make any difference to the car at all, in fact when my wife put £10 of petrol in,I just brimmed it with diesel. We got an extra 4 mpg after too!!!
Paul
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

Petrol has a lower calorific value than diesel, so you wouldn't get any better mpg - worse in fact. Too much petrol will alter the cetane value of your diesel and possibly cause too rapid fuel burning, thus increasing explosion pressure (by, by, HG). Standard diesel already has anti-wax additives during the winter months. A couple of litres in a full tank won't do any harm though.
//NiSk
rossd
My Cars:

Post by rossd »

Be careful if the engine is an HDi though, any amount of petrol in the tank and the high pressure pump seems to self destruct....
DaveC
My Cars:

Post by DaveC »

I filled from as good as empty my 405 tdi with petrol a few months back... ooops.
Got onto A1M, hmm, not pulling too good. Got to A1 M1 link bit, hmmm, black smoke and lots of juddering... Hmmmm, not good.
Managed to get all the way to the top of the hill and onto the A64 just as the car gave up on 100% petrol.
Got it all sorted and stuff, but I'm sure it's blown a seal or something in the fuel pump... seems to have made a leak on the throttle arm bearing... just very slight, but it's always has a nice diesel looking dampness to it now...
So, guess 100% petrol is bad, but I'd say that any amount will make it go a bit crappy. Redex is the best additive for cleaning I would say... stay off the petrol ;)
Dave