Xantia Suspension

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

mak224751
My Cars:

Xantia Suspension

Post by mak224751 »

I have recently purchase a 1993 L Xantia 1.9TDSX. Excellent car but when starting the car in the morning it takes a long time (5 or 6 mins) for the suspension to rise and the stop light on the dash to go out. Once the suspension has raised there are no problems during the day the stop light goes out within 30 seconds. Does anybody know why this is happening as I really don't like leaving my car running in the morning whilst I am not in it.
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

First check the filters and the condition of the hydraulic fluid in the LHM reservoir. If the fluid is anything less than almost fluorescent green, it needs changing. The filters and reservoir should be cleaned out at the same time- you can find instructions on this site. If this does not help, the High Pressure hydraulics pump may be worn out, but it could be worth checking the accumulator sphere first - also described in detail on this site.
//NiSk
modi
My Cars:

Post by modi »

Weird, may car doesn't keep the stop light on before the suspensions are fully raised when starting up the car, the stop light goes immediately when the engine starts running, I just watch out for the suspensions on the mirrors and drive when raised, it that normal??
As many posts I read in here as my feeling being isolated in the middle of no where and know nothing about my car grows!![:I][B)]
Thanks!
alexx
My Cars:

Post by alexx »

mak2.... - it's probably the HP pump, early years are known for making troubles. Unfortunately, new one is very expensive
modi
My Cars:

Post by modi »

Someone has told me its realy dangerous to drive the car before the stop light goes off, but what if the stop light goes off straight after the engine start running??
Stempy
My Cars: C5 V6 Mk1 assainated by wife
Renault Kangoo 1.6 auto, tarted up and remapped
Still missing the Xantia V6
Not missing the AX

Post by Stempy »

Could be the sign of a flat accumulator if the stop light goes out straight away.
mpr1956
My Cars:

Post by mpr1956 »

hi there, i have the same make and model and had the same symptoms on cold mornings... I have just replaced the acc sphere, changed the LHM and cleaned the filters, and the car suspension now works fine ! A cheap and (once I'd chiseled off the accumulator sphere) easy solution.
P.S. If this is your first Hydraulic citroen, the safety precautions re working underneath cannot be overstated. You don't get a second chance with these things!
mak224751
My Cars:

Post by mak224751 »

Thanks for all the info the car has got a full service history and looking back the hydraulic pump was only changed in June 2004. One thing I have noticed is in the morning once the car has started if I turn the steering wheel to full lock then turn it to full lock the other way the car rises fairly quickly certainly what you would call normal. Does this help. Sorry about the hassle but this is the first time I have owned a Citroen so have not got a clue regarding the suspension. Interested by Modi's question what happens if you drive the car before the stop light goes out. I have heard that the car can be driven but the braking system won't be as effective as the system hasn't pressurised properly. Any help would be gratefully received.
jack.dempsey
My Cars: BX TZD @ 250K miles (J reg),
Xantia TD @ 165K miles (R reg),
Xantia 2.1 TD (R reg)
and tow a caravan with them all (not at the same time)

Post by jack.dempsey »

Best policy regarding the 'STOP' light is to obey it - that is STOP or indeed DON'T START if you're already stopped until it goes out.
This is particularly true when the light is as a result of NO or LOW hydraulic pressure. The STOP light can also come on if oil pressure drops or if the engine overheats.
I've been caught out once or twice by releasing the hand break and rolling forward after starting my Xantia before the STOP light has gone out, only to panic when I then press the brake peddle to find - well NOTHING !! Then usually on the second or third STAB on the peddle when the hydraulic pressure builds up and the STOP light goes out, my head and upper torso project rapidly toward the windscreen.
modi
My Cars:

Post by modi »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Stempy</i>

Could be the sign of a flat accumulator if the stop light goes out straight away.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
How can I check the accumulator and does it live?? thanks
weety
My Cars:

Post by weety »

accumulator sphere lives on the front of the engine behind the radiator (big green thing)..... a way to test is is to see how often the accumulator 'ticks' if it ticks a lot the sphere is probably discharged and you either need to have it recharged or replaced (most replace then)