XUD7TE. I hear you knocking.

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

tomsheppard
My Cars:

XUD7TE. I hear you knocking.

Post by tomsheppard »

No, not more music for your Citroen but a heavy rattle on mine. Idle is as smooth as silk but at 1200 rpm up the car sounds very noisy both on or off load. with a hard metallic tapping from heaven knows where. Before I put the screwdriver to my ear and spend tomorrow morning finding the racket, the car managed an easy run of 100 miles with no drama and pulls well. The idle is good and quiet so I don't think it is due to a worn cam lobe but it is that sort of noise.
By the same guesswork, not likely to be small or big end, nor yet main bearing. Anybody come across this one? (I've a hunch that it may be injection related, but don't ask me why!)
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Sounds like a fuelling problem. You've probably heard enormous bangs coming out of some diesels on startup - particularily if they have not started properly and easystart has been used. This is due to overfuelling apparently.
The simple answer must be injectors but I suppose our old friend air could cause some problems by allowing some misfiring and subsequent ignition.
jeremy
tomsheppard
My Cars:

Post by tomsheppard »

At 170,000 miles, I'm quite happy to think that overfuelling may be a problem but I followed the car home and after DLM gave it some Latin lessons it didn't smoke unduly.
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

About 4 years ago Worthy Fuel Injection of Empress Rd overhauled mine for £100. I'm sure they'll have a listen for you.
From what I remember the TD oil pressure lights extinguish at a high pressure so if the light is behaving normally and not coming on at idle it suggests the bottom end is sound. That its quiet at idle suggests mechanical soundbess as well and no doubt it doesn't smoke from the crankcase as well.
If I recall correctly you have a bosch pump and I think your fast idle is simply a throttle stop movement. I mention this as one of the things I noticed on mine with the roto-diesel pump which advances for a cold start was that this worked properly for the first time and it no longer hunted when cold.
Looking back I suppose my injectors failed the MOT at about 175,000. What was noticeable was much better and quieter running and much less gearchangeing.
jeremy
tomsheppard
My Cars:

Post by tomsheppard »

Yes, that's good advice. The car is a new one (to me at least!) and that's a good guess, it is Bosch injected. I, too think that the motor is basically ok so I'll be investigating tomorrow and it is almost certainly time for the injectors to be looked at.
Thanks Jeremy!
ScottFromNZ
My Cars:

Post by ScottFromNZ »

My BX TZD Turbo with Bosch pump had the symptoms of slighty more diesel knock at idle (cold and hot) and on light throttle or overrun at about 1500 rpm quite rattly. Eventually I traced it to the cold start injection advance device which, on mine, is at the front and is water actuated via a cable to a lever. This was not returning all the way once warmed so I released the cable a few mm so that when at normal operating temperature there was no extra advance on the pump.
Note that (on mine anyway) this device is seperate to the wax stat device that is cable operated from the thermostat housing and only gives a faster idle when the engine is cold.
The result of this is that my engine is less rattly cold and hot. The timing is still advanced when cold but not as far as before.
bikeboyz
My Cars:

Post by bikeboyz »

Almost sounds like my problem with the 504's XD2 motor, (see It had to happen sooner or later - peugeot forum), with thoughts from gearbox main shaft to end bearing cap coming in to question. Turned out to be nothing more than a dodgy exhaust vibrating at lower engine speeds. When the speed rises the natural vibration goes away.
tomsheppard
My Cars:

Post by tomsheppard »

Hmm. Sounds like a big end but these engines are bulletproof and the oil pressure is all there(!) The listening screwdriver rarely lies though, so I'll have to get the sump off and look. Assuming that the crank isn't wrecked, I may as well change the shells anyway so has anybody any idea of a stockist for shells as GSF do not appear to list them? Thanks.
oilyspanner
My Cars:

Post by oilyspanner »

I get shells from the engineering place that does my head skimming etc
If all else fails I have the original XUD7TE from my BX languishing at the back of the garage, it needs the head lifting but was running fine but pressurising,
Stewart
tomsheppard
My Cars:

Post by tomsheppard »

Thanks for the idea Stewart. I think that if it came to swapping out lumps, then I'd upgrade to a 1.9TD but I reckon that ends in situ is the easier way to go. This is the backup car for when Grace has her next tantrum so I hope that I'll have time to fix it before that happens.
oilyspanner
My Cars:

Post by oilyspanner »

I will second the 1.9TD idea, it works very well indeed, especially if the bloody stop light would stop flashing!
Stewart
Dave Bamber
My Cars:

Post by Dave Bamber »

Tom
I had a look at a 160,000 TZD last week which has a nasty tapping. Apparently its the small ends on this one.......
tomsheppard
My Cars:

Post by tomsheppard »

I'm perturbed because that is a distinct possibility, too!
Dave Bamber
My Cars:

Post by Dave Bamber »

tomsheppard
My Cars:

Post by tomsheppard »

Not sure if I want to go lump lifting so I'll probably break it for parts to keep Grolliffe around for a few more years.