smokey exhaust at startup

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

mike_zr7
My Cars:

smokey exhaust at startup

Post by mike_zr7 »

Hi, Recently when I start up my 1996 xantia 1.9TD from cold there is a cloud of smoke from the exhaust and a smell of diesel. The tickover sounds rough, almost like it is running on 3 cylinders. When the car is warm it sounds and runs OK. Engine doesn't use any oil, and fuel consumption is as always between 40-45mpg. I have put some diesel treatment through the tank a cuple of times. The mileage is a genuine 72,000 miles and car has had recent oil and filter changes. I have owned this xantia for the past 5 years, but have only noticed this problem in the last couple of months. Do I have a problem, or is this just a typical smokey old diesel?
rotodiesel

Post by rotodiesel »

What colour is the smoke?
rotodiesel.
sooty
My Cars:

Post by sooty »

It maybe a duff heater plug or two, not heating the fuel in the cylinder chamber at start up from cold, causing a cloud of unburnt fuel/smoke at start up, if its light blue in colour.
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

My guess the smoke is white - unburnt diesel fuel by the smell.
Have you ever replaced the glow plugs during the 5 years ?
oilyspanner
My Cars:

Post by oilyspanner »

Heater plugs, if not that then a small air leak developing somewhere, if new glowplugs dont work (and I suspect they will) then try squeezing the fuel primer bulb until it firms up and then start it and observe smoke.
Stewart
Rajshah
My Cars:

Post by Rajshah »

Suspect glow plug....read my write up on identifying how many are faulty!
mike_zr7
My Cars:

Post by mike_zr7 »

The smoke is a grey colour.I had a starting problem about 3 years ago, replaced 2 heater plugs and solved the problem. It sounds like I may have one or two faulty heater plugs. Thanks for all the replies.