Xantia Rear Suspension

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Nomad
My Cars:

Xantia Rear Suspension

Post by Nomad »

Hi all
Xantia 1.8i 8v 1995 50,000 miles
Ok the car drives perfectly normal the ride height is normal, but while checking the LHM level today i noticed that the rear of the car seemed lower than the front on max setting. LHM level is fine according to the float.
So i then dropped the car to it lowest setting and it did as normal the whole car dropped, so then i set it to the max and the front went up as normal but the back only went up a bit.
So i set it to normal and the front and back went to there normal heights. so it seems that my rear suspension will not go to the max.
I had new sphears fitted on the back in Decemeber 2004.
The reason i wanted to check the LHM level was that when the car is cold the power steering is quite stiff for the first mile or so, then it is perfectly normal, the temp here at the moment is about -5° at night.
Thanks
Tony
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Sounds as though the height corrector linkage is sticking. jack car up securely and examine the linkage and lubricate it thoroughly, especially the rod going into the height corrector itself. I use spray grease which doesn't last for ever and next time I will use a brush to get grease onto this shaft. rest should be oiled for now to get free and then greased later.
The plastic link will probably pop off next - search this site for illustrations and descriptions.
As a matter of interest your LHM is probably ok as the level indicator usually comes on when there is plenty of LHM left (drop of about 1 litre out of 4 or 5.)
I asume you have a 2 outlet pump. If you have a single and a FDV try holding the steering against pressure when stationary and the car may miraculously rise. if this happens the FDV may be faulty. If you have a dual outlet pump and air is not getting into the system (look in reservoir - you may be able to see green milky fluid or bubbles) it sounds as though your pump is knackered. might be worth cleaning and flushing before replacing.
jeremy
Nomad
My Cars:

Post by Nomad »

Hi
Thanks for the reply, I will look into that but,
Is it something to worry about, as i don't really fancy crawling under the car in this wether
:-((
Tony
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Well yes - the car is designed to ride at its normal height when driven. Below this height means its nearer the bump stops, risking chassis and suspension damage and instability due to the suspension bottoming out and causing the wheels to hop.
if it high then obviously the car is less stable.
jeremy
Nomad
My Cars:

Post by Nomad »

Hi
The normal ride height is is fine, it is just that it wont go up to the max height.
Tony