106 diesel Driveshafts

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

samcro

106 diesel Driveshafts

Post by samcro »

Has anyone had experience replacing 106 (diesel) driveshafts? Is it hard to do and am I right in thinking that it involves draining the gearbox oil?
Cheers,
Sam
nickm
My Cars:

Post by nickm »

i had the job done for £95 inclusive--took them 30 minutes so couldn't have been that bad!
Brilec
My Cars:

Post by Brilec »

Not difficult, but you do need to ba able to undo the large nuts on the end of the shafts, which are very tight. Yes you do have to drain the gearbox oil.
mgoodlad

Post by mgoodlad »

I replaced the passenger side one myself - cheated a bit as I just put a basin below and pulled out the old one and very quickly stuck in the new one - it poured out for about 5 secs. Then topped up the gearbox with new clean oil. You have to be careful you don't damage the oil seal when you are pushing the new one in. The part was £39
The proper way of course is to drain and refil and to change the seal when you are at it.
I loosen the hub nut before jacking the car up so the whole weight of the car is on the wheel to stop it turning. You need a big socket (30mm?) and a big breaker bar, or a pipe over a normal one.
BTW I broke a Halfords Profesional 24inch one doing a similar job - took it back and they gave me another no hassle - lifetime guarantee.
NB for info only - I am not a qualified engineer! As you may have gathered. [:o)]
Regards
Michael
mgoodlad

Post by mgoodlad »

Sorry - the part cost £69.99 on an exchange basis from local Autosave shop.
Michael
1996 106 1.5d turned 100,000 miles on Monday!
1996 306 TD 78,000 miles
samcro

Post by samcro »

That was the way I was plannig to do it as well! Have got the big socket and cheater bar so should be able to undo the hub nut. I've had the front wheel assembly partially dismantled before. That's how I found out that the CV joint was knackered!