Turbo not working

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Immatoity

Turbo not working

Post by Immatoity »

Hi
My Dad recently changed one of my glow plugs as my Xantia TD was being a nightmare on the cold mornings to start....
It now starts ok BUT... he reconnected the hoses up incorrectly when putting it all back together and tells me that he "connected the coolant pipe up to the wrong place on the engine and didnt notice for a while = coolant not going where it should"..he had the car running but for about an hour loads of sh*t came out of the back and I mean loads...
anyway he has obviously corrected this and car still starts perfectly with no smoking etc...
BUT there is a really noticeable lack of power/acceleration from "pre-change"....I hear the turbo whistle I think but theres just nothing there...even Peugeot 106's can accelerate away from me now!
Other than that it seems fine but I am a bit worried....
Any ideas??
cheers
BrianM
My Cars:

Post by BrianM »

The only reason I can see would be the large black pipes coming over the top of the engine toward the bottom of the radiator are not connected up. ( trying not to be technical). When these come apart or are left off you'll be lucky to be able to do 50mph with the pedal to the floor. Car will start ok but there will be little power. I think by the orientation of these it would be almost impossible to put them on incorrectly.
Brian
weety
My Cars:

Post by weety »

he didnt fiddle with the throttle cable did he?? make sure your diesel pump fully opens with the throttle pedal on the floor
np
My Cars:

Post by np »

I agree with Brian,check the intercooler pipes across the top of the engine.Especally the one down in front of the radiator.I`ve made this mistake a few times,not tighting the clips on the hoses when i`ve done some work.Hence theres no power,but the car runs fine.
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

There should be a small pipe leading from the injection pump to the intercooler or somewhere on the induction system between the turbo and the inlet manifold. Its purpose is to operate the extra fule device on the injection pump when the turbo is providing boost. The pipe often splits or falls off and the car then runs like a non-turbo car.
jeremy
adzbaby
My Cars:

Post by adzbaby »

Another thing to double check is if he removed the accelerator cable and forgot to put the clip that stops the cable from being pulled back without actually pulling on the accelerator.
I did this once before! Took me a while before I realised, checked over all the turbo pipes thinking one of them was loose!! What a prat!