Tow Bar for Xsara

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

andy999

Tow Bar for Xsara

Post by andy999 »

Hi.
I have a 2002 Xsara 2.0 HDI estate, and am about to fit a tow bar.
Fitting the bar seems straitforward, but I have been reading previous posts and seen mentioned "multiplex wiring".
What is this, how can I tell if I have it, and does anyone have any advice/instructions about how to wire one in?
I was under the impression that this was going to be an easy task of just splicing the tow bar wires into the rear light cable loom.
Thanks for taking time to reply.
Andy
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Andy,
Yes, a 2002 Xsara will have mutliplex wiring. No, you can't just splice into the wiring as it's simply not there! The multiplex bit means essentially that electrical functions are operated by a computer network switching a common feed. You will need to go and talk to Citroen probably to get a wiring kit, although one of major bar makers (Witter, Towsure for instance) may be able to help.
miked
My Cars: Xsara SX (2003) Last of the line.

Post by miked »

Yours will be multiplexed yes.
All the wires are there, but when I did mine (2003 Xsara HDI SX) I was concerned about how much load you can put on each of the circuits, especially as the light are automatic on mine. I fitted relays for the tail lights and the fog light circuits, to isolate the trailer from these two circuits. The indicators & brakes I just spiced into as normal. You can get relay boxes which isolate all 6 circuits which is probably what I should have done. In the back left corner of the boot under the carpet there was a thick 12V feed, which is fused in the fuse box (fuse marked "Towbar/Sat Nav") to supply any relays/isolation modules.
andy999

Post by andy999 »

Hi Mike.
I have ordered an isolation relay.
Do you know the colour codes of the wires for the rear lights and 12v feed ?
I was in contact with a techy from towsure who suggested that I will need to run 2 separate 10A cables direct to the battery.
I have a 10A fuse for a "navigation system/PC/towing".
I am asking so many questions as I don't want to overload the electronic control unit, and make it a really expensive job.
I went onto the citroen web site, and found that the towbar wiring kit is aroung £85.00 +VAT.
Andy