How do I change an AX 1.5D Alternator

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

chrali

How do I change an AX 1.5D Alternator

Post by chrali »

Hi all......
Hope you can help me. My wifes AX 1.5D 1994 120K has some issues.....primarily the alternator light is now always on and I have to change the battery every day ( and carry 2 spares ! just in case !), I intend to change the alternator this weekend and wondered if you guys have any tips/hints on removal and replacement, coz it looks like its tight under the bonnet.
2nd priority is the radiator has a tiny hole behind the cowling and 3rd is the n/s/f drive shaft needs replacing. But this battery issues has to be sorted before I go mad with the cold, coz we dont have the heater etc.[V]
mbunting
My Cars:

Post by mbunting »

You've checked the cables ?
You've checked the battery voltage when turned off, and the voltage when turned on ?
I haven't had a look at mine yet, but you'll probably need an allen key to slacken off the aux belt tensioner, and another to loosen the bolts on the alternator, disconnect the cable from the alternator, and remove.
Re-fitting is the reverse, making sure the belt is tensioned up ok, and all bolts are tight.
Ensure that the mounting points are clean before re-assembly, as these will be part of the electrical circuit.
I have changed one on a petrol AX before - slightly different mounting method, and this took approx 20 minutes start to finish.
Mat.