xantia cigarette lighter

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

matty1
My Cars:

xantia cigarette lighter

Post by matty1 »

hi all
have a r reg 1.9 td xantia temptation 1997,cigarette lighter not working,any idea whate fuse needs changing?
all the best
natace1972

Post by natace1972 »

dont know if the same m8 but on my xantia its f16
mipster
My Cars:

Post by mipster »

I changed mine yesterday (blew it using a 12v compressor 3 years ago and it remained on the 'to do' this ever since').
On my xantias it's number 16 in the fuse box under the steering wheel.
20 amps.
matty1
My Cars:

Post by matty1 »

cheers guy's,have changed fuse ,still not working??
nick
My Cars:

Post by nick »

On mine the wires which go into the back of the lighter got snagged on something, and one wire snapped off as the ashtray was pulled out.
np
My Cars:

Post by np »

When you say not working,are you on about the lighter its self,or you have no power to it?On mine,i have power,but when i push the lighter in,i wont stay in to work.It keeps poping back out.I suppose a new lighter would cure it.I have power though,so i can use the phone charger etc.My fuse blows all the time when i put the phone charger in,though sometimes its fine for weeks at a time.I think its because theres not enough space to get the plug in,so you have to wriggle the plug in,then the fuse blows.
matty1
My Cars:

Post by matty1 »

cheers
will check to see if wire has been snagged.
i don't have power and like np the lighter doesn't stay depressed when pushed in
miked
My Cars: Xsara SX (2003) Last of the line.

Post by miked »

Then you have 2 faults.
If the lighter was OK then it would stay in even without power
matty1
My Cars:

Post by matty1 »

thank you everone!!
can anyone tell me how to take the ashtray /lighter unit out of the console?
DervDonkey
My Cars:

Post by DervDonkey »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">.My fuse blows all the time when i put the phone charger in,though sometimes its fine for weeks at a time.I think its because theres not enough space to get the plug in,so you have to wriggle the plug in,then the fuse blows.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Neil, I too had the same problem with an old mobile phone handsfree kit - it worked fine in the other car, but kept blowing the fuse in the Xantia.
On closer inspection, it seems that the lighter socket in the Xantia is a slightly odd design (nothing new there then[:)] ) and has a couple of metal tabs at the base which bend upwards along the botttom end of the barrel. The problem is that these tabs are connected to the 12 volt feed, and the design of some plugs is such that the springy 'earth' contact (or contacts - the problem is worse if the plug has 2 or 4 contacts on the side) can easily bridge the 12V and earth sections at the bottom of the barrel. Result: a blown fuse. Oh - and these tabs intrude slightly into the space at the bottom, meaning some plugs won't go in properly at all (but sod's law says the fuse still gets blown...)
Solution? If the plug physically fits the socket, try wrapping the bottom 10mm or so of the plug barrel in insulating tape, which ought to prevent a short circuit. Otherwise, just do what I did, i.e. remove the lighter socket and get rid of the offending tabs - it's quite easy to do, and I haven't had any trouble with it since. The lighter itself still works properly after the mod too.
dan.2cv
My Cars:

Post by dan.2cv »

Lighters generally stay in by a holding tab which heats up with the lighter, expands then 'lets go' and the lighter pops out. remove the socket and bend the tabs back in a bit and it should solve the 'not staying in' problem. If they are sufficiently bent outwards they could be shorting on some nearby metalwork anyway?