Just bought a Peugoet 306 XTDT

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

blueagle78
My Cars:

Just bought a Peugoet 306 XTDT

Post by blueagle78 »

Hi guys,
I'm the proud owner of a sporty looking 306. Its in my favourite blue colour.
Its done 109k and I've just got it serviced and I was just wondering is the timing belt due to be replaced? I've got lots of bills with the car but I don't think the timing belt was changed recently.
Also when cold starting car never starts with the first attempt. Does anyone know what's the most likely cause?
TomH
My Cars:

Post by TomH »

If in doubt about the cambelt then get it changed! peace of mind and better than it snapping and causing quite a mess! It is probably due for a change at around that mileage.
As to cold starting I'd bet one or more glow plugs is defective: change them all!
chriswales6

Post by chriswales6 »

Hi,
The original cam belt should have been changed at 72k, there are various theories on the replace interval after that. Most people, myself included go by the 36k or 3 year interval for replacing the belt.
Since your car has done 109k, if there are no receipts for a belt change in the last year then it could well be overdue a change.
As for the cold starting, it could be one or more of the glow plugs, it could also be a leak in the fuel pipes letting air into the system. Normally if it’s a glow plug when the car does start it will run a bit rough and belch smoke. If you have air leaking into the system then the primer pump (the rubber bulb on the left hand side of the engine) may not be as ‘hard’ as normal. Before you try a cold start give the primer a couple of good squeezes, if it then starts first time then it’s more likely a fuelling problem.
Also I don’t want to be accused to trying to teach my grandmother to suck eggs, but you are waiting a few seconds for the glow plug light to go out ? The number of people I see jumping into diesel and trying to start them straight way, you hear the poor thing chugging away trying to get some heat into the engine.
Cheers
Chris
blueagle78
My Cars:

Post by blueagle78 »

Its my second diesel car (the first one was VW Polo) so yes I know I've to wait for the orange coil light to switch off before I can attempt to start!
Thanks a lot for your help guys! I'll change the plugs and I'll also check the primer pipe when I'll start up the car.
Dave Bamber
My Cars:

Post by Dave Bamber »

When changing the timing belt you may consider changing the water pump at the same time. Not much to buy and very little more in labour, but worth doing.
blueagle78
My Cars:

Post by blueagle78 »

I've read quite a bit about Pug306 water pump and now I'll definitely get it changed. Thanks for advice Dave! :)
chriswales6

Post by chriswales6 »

Water pump !!! ??? I was sure that I knew most of the 306’s little foibles, but that’s a new one on me. I didn’t realise they were another week point, what happens when one goes …. No hang on let me guess, one of two things:
The water flow stops and a sudden increase in engine temperate, at best a new head gasket and worst a new head.
.... or the pump fails throws the cam belt off and you get valve piston contact, then it’s another new engine.
I wish I’d had heard about this sooner, my current engine has only done 20,000 miles. But the water pump along with the rest of the car has done 104,000 miles and it could have been easily changed on three separate occasions. Oh well I guess that’s another thing to keep me awake worrying at night [V]
If your going the whole nine yards so to speak with the cam belt change, then it maybe an idea to replace the alternator belt. Just over a year ago mine failed, bits of the belt got into the cam belt case and stalled the engine. The AA man thought the engine was stuffed, but luckily it was ONLY the cam belt and the camshaft pulley.
Cheers
Chris
kevin
My Cars:

Post by kevin »

One more thing to watch is the coolant level and behaviour of the pressure in the radiator. Should you see evidence of back pressure in the radiator then the head gasket is failed. This will occur around 100k. One sign is poor cold starting, compression is critical to the starting process. This will cost around £400 - £700 for a job including skimming the head.
If you do a search there are threads on this subject
How are the rear wheels? If they are starting to lean in at the top, then the rear axle is on the way out. SSP engineering will replace the complete axle or look around your local yards for a replacement.
Apart from these I recommend a service at 5 - 6k with genuine parts and the engine will last for at least another 60k
Kevin
blueagle78
My Cars:

Post by blueagle78 »

I'm a bit scared now because cold starting is poor! But if I switch it on even just for 5 seconds and then turn it back on then its perfect! So does it mean head gasket is going to fail sometime soon?
Car is lowered from the back so I can't tell how's the rear axle but it drives fine!
My previous car was bullet proof Nissan Almera and I'm just wondering have I just got myself into trouble by buying another French car because my previous experience with Renault Megane wasn't good at all!
chriswales6

Post by chriswales6 »

I wouldn’t worry too much about the head gasket how long it lasts is partly down to luck. Change the glow plugs and see if that improves the cold starting.
My family have run Nissans for years and before the 306 I had a 200SX. I don’t want to scare you anymore than you ready seem to be, but my 306 is by far the worst car for problems I have ever owned. They are great cars when their going up I’ve been towed by the AA twice and had to spend thousands on repair bills.
As for the rear axle, take a look at the rear wheels from a good five feet behind the car. If the wheel is point straight up then it should be okay. Also keep and eye on the wear pattern on the rear tyres anything other than a nice even wear would point to a problem.
Good luck
Chris
ralph
My Cars:

Post by ralph »

Come on Blueagle 78, life's too short to spend it worrying about head gaskets.
Just remember the golden rules:
1. Don't leave coolant in for years on end
2. Watch out for leaking hoses,
3. Never, repeat never, take your eyes off the temperature gauge!
As for Nissans, a colleague of mine runs an L-reg Sunny diesel. Mega mileage, oil changes just once a year, never lets him down. Oh, and dull as ditchwater.
blueagle78
My Cars:

Post by blueagle78 »

Thanks Ralph I'll try to remember that!
I'm just wondering when you guys decide to buy a car what's the main factor for your selection? Image, looks, reliability, drive, comfort.....?
I think for me reliability is the most important than drive, comfort, looks and image!!! :)
ralph
My Cars:

Post by ralph »

Bought my Xsara three years ago when it had just come off a fleet. I bought it for the engine, I wouldn't have considered a petrol.
I'd always fancied a 306TD, but the Xsara was £1,000 to £1,500 cheaper than the equivalent 306, so no contest there.
So for me, it was price and performance.
With its 137K on the clock it's now worth buttons, but its paid for, so I hope to look after it and get years of cheap motoring. Touch wood!
chriswales6

Post by chriswales6 »

I bought my fine example of French engineering because I wanted something less expensive than 200sx to run.
I also bought the car on the supposed strength of the engine, believing the hype that the DT’s go to at least 200K. So I handed over 8,000 pounds for a two year old ex-lease car with 56K on the clock. I had the mistaken belief that the car would slowly fall apart around the engine, rather ironically the engine exploded at around 86K. The bill on that occasion was 3,400 pounds, with other big ticket items that have needed ‘fixing’ the current total must be around 5,000 pounds. To be honest I’ve given up keeping a track on what it’s cost me. Last year was a good year since the costs were in normal servicing charges.
As I said before the 306 is a great car when they’re working and almost as much fun to drive as 200sx, but in hindsight it would have been cheaper to keep the sports car.
And once me and my pocket emptying 306 finally part company, there is no way I’m getting another French car.
Here are some pictures of my original engine, with additional ventilation [:(!]
http://uk.geocities.com/egooverdrive/pug1.html

http://uk.geocities.com/egooverdrive/pug2.html

http://uk.geocities.com/egooverdrive/pug3.html
easterroad

Post by easterroad »

hmm the xtdt , mine is a 94 M with 115,000 on the clock. I've owned it for two years and put on 40,000 miles. It had a FSH and one previous owner , so i hoped for relatively trouble free motoring, give or take the usual stuff for a car of that age - how very wrong i was.
1. Driver's window collapsed into door with 70 miles of motorway driving to go on a freezing February day - needed to replace the riser and electric motor.
2. The alarm decided to be vindictive and immobilise the car when needed to get to any destination on time / set the siren off when stuck in traffic jams at every opportionity.
3. Even after removing the alarm control box to solve the above the siren still goes off intermttently at just audible levels..... very annoying
4. Radiator failure leading to head gasket blowing at 110,000 miles... 02:00 am on a remote bit of motorway when it was bucketing down.
5. Fuel filler flap no longer opens when the lever is pulled.
6. Boot flew open in the fast lane after the bolts attached to the body gave way.
7. Almost total brake failure after the vacuum pump gear sheared off - fortunately I was going up my street at the time..
8. Sunroof decided to fail after being fully opened just before the heavens opened.
9. General wear and tear stuff has included two sets of tyres, front discs/pads, rear drum pads, rear shocks, front bushes, glow plugs, cam belt, services every 6-8000 miles
Mind you when it goes it is a very good car to drive, great fuel economy....and does not require too much skill to do general maintenance / repairs on. But even with those benefits it is getting the heave ho this summer in favour of .. well almost anything but a peugeot 306 .
So good luck and I hope your car is a better one than mine!