C5 HDI clutch pedal feel

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

bencowell

C5 HDI clutch pedal feel

Post by bencowell »

My 2002 (30k mile) C5 HDI 110 has a funny habit with the clutch. When the engine etc is cold, the clutch feels great. Nice smooth pedal travel and consistent biting point.
Once the car is warmed through, traffic jams become a nightmare. The pedal sometimes feels very light, biting point may become high or low (more commonly low).
After sitting with the pedal down for a few seconds, (say when at the head of a junction) thebiting point might be right at the bottom of the pedal travel. Sometimes you may not even feel the biting point, i.e the take up of drive is happening when you have the pedal down, but there is clutch slip. Once I have smelt burning.
When the clutch biting point has been low, the next 2 or 3 presses of the clutch will feel really light, the change into 2nd will probably be rough. If you start the car moving (after holding the pedal down for a while and it having a low biting point) and only move a few yards, it may be difficult or impossible to take it out of 1st or 2nd gear.
The dealer says it has a dual mass flywheel which accounts for a movement in biting points, and says the gear linkage wires have been lubricated and adjusted.
I have my next routine service coming up soon, so may use this as a reason to test to see if the dealer is worth the money for the big 3 yr service.
Thanks in advance
Ben
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

Thats a hydraulicly operated job IINM, if so it sounds like the master cylinder rubbers are not up to it.
Dave
bencowell

Post by bencowell »

Yes, it is a hydraulic clutch. That was one of my thoughts. Having read Jon's words about the 2.0 HDI and the flywheel, it set my mind thinking...