fuel injector problem

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

sponix
My Cars:

fuel injector problem

Post by sponix »

Have a berlingo with a 1.9 diesel engine, only 30k on the clock.
It broke down the other day but was repaired under warranty-one of the injectors was "Stuck up" (Garages term, not mine). I assume this to mean that the internal mechanism was stuck in the 'up' position, rather than it was clogged?)
Since then it has broken down again..same problem but a different injector!!
What are the possible causes of this?
Current thoughts are:
1. a batch of faulty injectors were fitted when the car was new.
-or-
2. Some sort of problem with the fuel. (Contaminated?)
Is it possible that a problem with the injector pump could cause the injectors to stick open? Too much pressure maybe?
I may decide to replace the remaining injectors, the logic being that they have done the same mileage and are from the same batch so (In theory) are in the same condition.
Never having bought injectors before, do they need to be 'calibrated' before fitting or can I simply fit them as supplied?
Any gotchas I should be aware of when fitting injectors?
Is it worth using a bottle of injector cleaner on a regular basis? If so, what's a good (And easily available) brand?
Robin
My Cars:

Post by Robin »

Hi, I can only offer some general ideas here. Not being familiar especially with the 1.9 in the Berlingo. Generally 'stuck' injectors only happen with contaminated fuel or if brand new they can distort if overtightened on assembly. I don't think is the case for yours though. I would consider making sure your fuel filters are sound and in deed even fitted! Would not be the first time someone has ripped it out and left it because it was blocked.
The other possibility is water in the fuel and if the car is left standing it can allow some corrosion in the injector.
Injector cleaner is a good idea but I think you have already decide on the right course of action - replace them.
The correct ones are a straight exchange no setting up needed but be aware that there will be a small heat washer in the very bottom of the chamber in addition to the larger copper one.
Cleanliness is essential here so take care. It should not be necessary to bleed the system unless you have ease the pipes on the pump. Then with the immobiliser code entered to ensure fuel is being pumped, just crank the engine with the nuts cracked back from tight at the injectors for few revolutions of the engine. Then tighten up and start as normal. It is normal for the engine to missfire and run rough for a few minutes at first but should settle after about two or three minutes. Drive gently for a few miles until bedded in.
Robin
sponix
My Cars:

Post by sponix »

An update...

The vehicle broke down three times in all, each time a different injector had failed. The garage eventually replaced all four injectors.

The car has done 600 miles since the injectors were replaced and hasn't stopped yet...touch wood.

The garage are claiming that the fuel must have been contaminated, yet samples of the fuel show no signs of contamination.

I have noticed, however, that the car has a very slight whine and what sounds like slight tappet noise for the first few minutes after it's started.

(It's possible the engine has always sounded like this as I tend to have the radio on!)

What worries me is that the injector pump is in the process of failing. Would a failing/faulty injector pump cause the injectors to fail?

Do injector pumps fail quickly (ie a few miles) or is it a slow process (500+ miles)?

Is there a possibility that there is something wrong with the electronic control system that'd cause such problems?

Edit: The engine is a DW8 fitted with Lucas injection.