rumbling from the front

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

samcro

rumbling from the front

Post by samcro »

My 106 has developed a speed dependant rumble, coming from the front. The rumble appears at about 30mph goes quiet again at higher speeds then reappears at about 60mph. I'm guessing this is either the wheel bearings or the driveshafts.
Another interesting point is that the CV joint gaiters came loose a while ago. One of the steel straps holding them on came loose, on both gaiters, allowing most of the grease to come out. I think it must have only been a few weeks like this, as I had been under the car before and not noticed it. I repacked the gaiters with grease and strapped the gaiters back in place. Whilst doing this I noticed a slight tinge of rusty red colour in some of the existing grease.
The drivetrain is fairly smooth, ie no knocking noises generally except for sharp left-hand cornering where there is a slight tapping noise.
Is is likely that the CV joints are causing the droning noise and if so, is it hard/expensive to replace them? Am I right in thinking that the whole driveshaft needs to be replaced?
Cheers,
Sam