Next Citroen?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

colinhorsham
My Cars:

Next Citroen?

Post by colinhorsham »

I have been driving a Xantia Estate, 1997 petrol 2l version, since last February. Its been a dream and was only £1400. Cheapest year's motoring I have ever had. Would have been even better if I hadn't had to shell out on a new clutch but it had 97,000 miles on the clock when I bought it so I can't complain.
I am hoping it get's through its MOT next month, but I don't want to spend any serious money on it if it doesn't. What would people suggest I might get to replace it for about £1,000 plus trade in value ( I am guessing this will be about £2-300).
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

As a matter of interest why do you want to replace it? You are talking of spending £1000 which will buy you loads of repairs. When you buy your next car you will be anxious to know what its history has bee to try and judge if it will go wrong immediately - you already know yours. - so if you want the same sort of thing - whats the point?
jeremy
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

The devil you know is.............................
Alan S[:D][8D]
colinhorsham
My Cars:

Post by colinhorsham »

Well I will only replace it if it fails its MOT, but my logic is that if there is anything much wrong with it it will cost more than the car's value to fix it. Xantias don't seem to be much sought after at the moment.
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

Bad logic I'm afaraid.
The value of anything, cars included is not what someone else will pay for it, but rather what its value is to you.
I've many times seen people use this logic and finish up spending big bucks on something else that is "worth more" only to see them spend often more on it in the following 12 months than they paid for the "better value" goods. A prime example is to ask on this board how many owners here have sold their BXs for the same reason you've suggested and after a couple of years rued the loss of the BX (even going as far as stating it was the best car they ever owned and only sold it because it was going to cost more than it was worth to repair it?) You'll find several who in recent times have bought BXs after owning later models and spent a mint of money on them and are now quite happily driving what they consider to be a better buy than the more expensive cars.
At the end of the day, any second hand car is going to cost you money and if the car you have has been reliable and is in reasonable condition, then spend the money on the car that you have a fair idea of the problems it may have rather than on an unknown commodity and take a holiday with the money you'll save.
Alan S [8D][;)]
martyhopkirk

Post by martyhopkirk »

Thats why I have started stocking up on spares for the Xant. I think its a great car, its worth it for me to spend the money on keeping it running and mine than to ditch it and buy a reliable Toyota - which would probably do what I want it to do, but without the fun. Besides, a grand will go a long way on repairs (especially if you do some of the work yourself) but what will a grand buy you car wise? And at least you get another years motoring - the longer you own your car teh more you learn about it, and the more you are able to anticipate whats likely to need doing (if anything) next.
Take my AX (please take my AX...) Owned it 5 minutes and already its had me by the throat. The ZX I parted with I am now realising I should have kept. Hey ho.
Dave Bamber
My Cars:

Post by Dave Bamber »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by alans</i>

A prime example is to ask on this board how many owners here have sold their BXs for the same reason you've suggested and after a couple of years rued the loss of the BX (even going as far as stating it was the best car they ever owned and only sold it because it was going to cost more than it was worth to repair it?) You'll find several who in recent times have bought BXs after owning later models and spent a mint of money on them and are now quite happily driving what they consider to be a better buy than the more expensive cars.
Alan S [8D][;)]
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Anyone you know Alan[:I]
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

Mmmmmnnn now let me think; this one also sounds a bit familiar.
http://www.bxclub.co.uk/wobs/
as does this:
http://www.bxclub.co.uk/tom/
Alan S [;)][}:)]
James.
My Cars:

Post by James. »

I bought my ZX about 3 years ago for £1,400, less the £600 they gave me for my old Carlton.. so it 'owed' me £800 .. heh heh.. An excellant decision.. I was looking for a "diesel auto" no other preferences, I had no idea what a ZX was?, but it looked fine.. no bumps or dents. Engine sounded good, no rust anywhere, few nice extras as standard, and the interior was in excellant condition, plus what can you get for that sort of money? not much usually.... [V]
All things considered, the ZX 1.9D auto is by far the best car I ever owned.. Apart from general services and bits I bought-added from choice, the car has cost me virtually nothing.. [:D] It is still rust and dent free, still drives nicely, starts fine, and is very economic on fuel..
It's still running on a 50/50 mix of cooking oil and diesel, no other additives whatsoever, and is a bit quicker, but uses a bit more fuel on this mixture.. I still have about 5 gall of the oil left, when it runs out i wont bother to get any more as my mileage is soooo low now its not worth messing about.. [:I]
So whats it worth?? £100?? £2,000?? I wouldn't sell it.. It's worth an awfull lot to me! and that's all that really matters.. [:D] [:)]
My advice? keep your Xant... You know it makes sense. [:D]
colinhorsham
My Cars:

Post by colinhorsham »

Thanks to everyone - some very good advice. After reading them I looked out at my Xantia and felt a bit like a husband who had been about to ditch his long standing wife for some floozy and then changed his mind at the last minute....
arry_b

Post by arry_b »

How about a long standing wife, who doesn't spend much when she goes out?
Xantia Diesel.
Oscar Too
My Cars:

Post by Oscar Too »

Alan
You have almost exactly described what I did. I sold my BX for £60 [:I] as I didn't realise how good it was and wanted it off my balance sheet where I thought it was a liability. Ten months later I bought a ZX, so I didn't save any money. The ZX is reliable, economic and cheap, as well as having loads of space under the bonnet to work on things.
So why did I then buy a MoT write-off BX? Cos it's more fun, inspires more thrill of ownership, is quirky, a style icon, and I can spend loads of money I can't afford and time that could be spent reading, on refurbing it. Citroens eh?
I will shortly sell the ZX (Marty are you interested?) no doubt at a loss, and I will be back where I started in automotive terms, with a red BX. But actually I will have had a load of fun, gained a lot of useful knowledge, and jeopardised my career by posting here instead of working.
So to all potential Cit owners, upgraders, mechanics - you have been warned!!
martyhopkirk

Post by martyhopkirk »

Oscar - whats the ZX like?