buying xantia...all tips/advice welcome

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

dickydolittle
My Cars:

buying xantia...all tips/advice welcome

Post by dickydolittle »

Hi all, am thinking of buying xantia(1.9 td lx) estate - family,camping gear,kitchen sink to lug around!
All advice on stuff to check for before handing over cash will be gratefully received,(even if you think it's obvious!!!).
Got about 1k to spend(when C****HILL INSURANCE[:(!] can be bothered to send me a cheque-terrible firm)
dicky[8D]
weety
My Cars:

Post by weety »

not a full list but of the top of my head, a high and/or heavy clutch would probably mean you would be replacing it soon, check for a blown head gasket carefully as, if overheated, they tend to blow them. Make sure the car will adjust to each height properly and doesnt vomit lhm doing it. The handbrake cables are prone to stretching so check the handbrake holds the car properly....if i can think of anything else i will let you know
Richard Gallagher
My Cars:

Post by Richard Gallagher »

Check for a leaking heater matrix (dash out job) in the N/S/F footwell and dampness in the rear due to water entering via the tailgate.
Look at the car from the rear and check the angle of the wheels, they should be vertical, if however they look like /--\ then the rear arm bearings are shot.
You also have the usual sphere check to do, suspension should be relatively soft when pushed down by hand with the occaisional click (at least 30 secs apart) under the bonnet as the accumulator recharges, any sooner and it could be the sphere OR an internal leak.
Also check the movement of the suspension changing height. Move the lever down by the handbrake (with engine running) from front to back, the car should move smoothly between heights, if jerky then struts are on the way out.
Make enquiries relating to timing belt replacement although its not too bad a job to diy.
Slight 'knocking' when travelling over ripples in the road are likely to be droplinks, relatively cheap and easy to do.
ghostrider
My Cars:

Post by ghostrider »

Add to that lot check the air con works if fitted and make sure it works when the engine temp is up as it is linked to the cooling fans, mine worked OK when cold but not when hot, and in fixing the fans found dis similar metal corrosion where the pipes from the drier & compressor go into the condenser between Rad and Intercooler, bill so far ?345 and growing!!!!!! Make sure the ABS light comes on when you first turn the ignition on and then goes out after a few seconds, likewise Air bag warning light. The seat height adjuster on mine wouldn't hold the seat in anything but the lowest position. Also check front tyres for odd wear, if it goes in a straight line, worn o/s edges are normally bottom ball joint, insides either toe in or suspension arm bushes. Check that all the gizmos work, never checked my cassette, completely f*****d. with the ignition on, you should hear a slight whirring sound from behind the LED alarm light on the dash, this is the fan that blows air over the heater temp sensor, if it does not work you get all sorts of weird things happening with the automatic temperature control. Check that the Tailgate struts on the estate actually hold the gate up, preferably when the weather is cold as the gas is then at minimum pressure. The engine should idle at about 1k when cold and then drop back to 800 or so as it warms up, if it doesn't its probably the cold start advance screwed into the thermostat housing, not expensive but a pain to get at on some diesel models. I hear that the 2.1 TD engine is good but because of the tight fit it has to come out for various thing like changing turbos etc which is not true of the 1.9. Build quality is definitely better than the BX but it feels more sluggish
Pete
________
IPAD GUIDE
Last edited by ghostrider on 22 Feb 2011, 05:57, edited 1 time in total.
dickydolittle
My Cars:

Post by dickydolittle »

Thanks for all your advice. will post back to let you know when i find one. still no cheque tho!!!
next churchill nodding dog i see on tv is gonna get it big time!
dicky