DVLA Database

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

Jon

DVLA Database

Post by Jon »

Just received the V11 road tax application in respect of the Berlingo, and notice that I can now tax it via the Internet or telephone, great!
It states that the DVLA will electronically check databases for
-a valid Vehicle Insurance (UK)
-a valid test Certificate (MOT) if required.
So at last, they can tell if a car is MOT and insured. Hopefully this will mean a massive drop in uninsured unroadworthy cars driven by low life?
Then again......
bernie
My Cars:

Post by bernie »

Brilliant
ACTIVE8
My Cars:

Post by ACTIVE8 »

Well we can only, but hope that will sort them out !
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

It would be a good system if all the testing stations were on the system as well, and all the insurance companies, but they're not!
The system is full of flaws-my local testing station have been waiting 2 years now to be connected up, and the insurance database refers to the vehicle, i.e. someone has a policy for that vehicle, but doesn't take account of who may be driving it. In practice, you will still just be given a producer.
Then of course, there are the postmen who steal anything they can get their hands on- to go with the credit cards and birthday money, they will now be able to get tax discs!!
As someone who has access to government computor systems as part of my work, I don't have a lot of faith in them........
oilyspanner
My Cars:

Post by oilyspanner »

I have just recieved an invitation to renew sorn on my old BX, I sent the V5 off over a year ago, telling them that the vehicle had been scrapped, dismantled by me and cubed, This is where the fools get their 93 million in lost revenue from untaxed motors from. I think the low lifes just buy taxed and tested motors and run them until the paperwork expires.
Stewart
TomH
My Cars:

Post by TomH »

I think you need a new style electronic MOT certificate though. I'm not sure I've seen one!
Stuart McB
My Cars:

Post by Stuart McB »

The low life we're talking about will carry on with no tax and no insurance. They'll just dump the car like now when they're collard. No trace on PNC (Police national Computer). And your back to square one.
oilyspanner
My Cars:

Post by oilyspanner »

The only answer to uninsured scumbags is those cars you used to see with a blue light on top and big yellow stripes down the sides, pulling people up instead of hiding behind hedges, have you looked at tyres lately, I was walking through the supermarket car park the other day and just happened to look at car tyres, these people must wait for the MOT man to tell them, bald tyres will probably be another reason to scrap cars nowadays.
Stewart
ACTIVE8
My Cars:

Post by ACTIVE8 »

Yeah, it does seem most motorists are absolutely clueless, and don't know anything about any problems with their vehicles, until the M.O.T. tester finds the faults.
martyhopkirk

Post by martyhopkirk »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Stuart McB</i>

The low life we're talking about will carry on with no tax and no insurance. They'll just dump the car like now when they're collard. No trace on PNC (Police national Computer). And your back to square one.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Another argument there to automatically impound and remove from the road cars without insurance or MOT.
I deal with too many idiots who have no insurance or MOT - in fact one such idiot on a 'ped ran into the back of me on Monday night in the rain - fortunatly he did no damage to the car (unlike my mother in law), but apart from a slapped wrist this 16 year old will doubtless receive nothing else.
Homer
My Cars: Current:
Volvo V60 D4 180

Previous:
BX16RS (two of),
BX19TZI,
Xantia 2.0i saloon,
Xantia 2.0 Exclusive CT turbo Break,
Peugeot 807 2.0 HDi 110,
Renault Grand Scenic, 2.0 diesel (150bhp)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi 160 which put me off French cars possibly forever

Post by Homer »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Jon</i>

So at last, they can tell if a car is MOT and insured. Hopefully this will mean a massive drop in uninsured unroadworthy cars driven by low life?
Then again......
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
ROFL.
More likely it will lead to another increase in stolen/cloned numberplates.
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by martyhopkirk</i>

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Stuart McB</i>

The low life we're talking about will carry on with no tax and no insurance. They'll just dump the car like now when they're collard. No trace on PNC (Police national Computer). And your back to square one.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Another argument there to automatically impound and remove from the road cars without insurance or MOT.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
How would you go about "automatically" impounding cars with no insurance, MOT, or tax. If I don't fancy shelling out for all these optional extras it's easy for me to walk round the local supermarket carpark and note down a few reg no's then get the bloke down the pub to knock up some plates for me. Even if it does get taken away and crushed I can go out and buy another £500 banger and I'm still making a profit.
The only way to remove uninsured cars from the road is to have basic 3rd party insurance automatically included in fuel duty. This would take away the biggest single cost of running a car legally and you would have far fewer people evading VED and not bothering with the MOT.
oilyspanner
My Cars:

Post by oilyspanner »

yes but that smacks of punishing all of us to catch the wrongdoers, and our government of whatever shade do not need another excuse to hike fuel prices, we might occasionally whinge if we were subjected to roadside checks but if the uninsured unlicensed p*sstakers were caught then we might get somewhere. of course some of these people have no license to lose or endorse and generally take law breaking as a risk they are prepared to accept especially as they are treated very leniently by the courts, and we cannot fill the prisons with naughty motorists
Stewart
Homer
Volvo V60 D4 180

Previous:
BX16RS (two of),
BX19TZI,
Xantia 2.0i saloon,
Peugeot 807 2.0 HDi 110,

Post by Homer »

Done right it shouldn't cost us anything in the long run, in fact it should be cheaper. Should also bring down the cost of fully comp insurance since we won't be getting run into by uninsured motors.
weety
My Cars:

Post by weety »

i read somewhere once that in south africa third party insurance is included in the fuel price.... dont know if that is still (or was ever) true
Homer
Volvo V60 D4 180

Previous:
BX16RS (two of),
BX19TZI,
Xantia 2.0i saloon,
Peugeot 807 2.0 HDi 110,

Post by Homer »

I believe so, and the system is said to work very well.
I believe 3rd party insurance is included in the Australian equivelant of VED (road tax), any of our Aussie visitors care to comment?