Citroen Xantia - Magical Central Locking

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

gavinmassey

Citroen Xantia - Magical Central Locking

Post by gavinmassey »

I am the proud owner of a magical central locking system. - It's been diagnosed as a lock motor gone but that just doesn't make sense. - I would like a 2nd opion - the symptoms follow:
I lock my car with the IR - when I return its unlocked
I lock the door and set the alarm - when I return the door is unlocked - but the alarm is armed so it does off as I get in.
I lock the car with the key (then double lock it) - when I return it might be locked - about a 30% locked 70% unlocked chance.
Sometimes when I slam my door the car locks
Sometimes when I open the door the car tries to lock - relises the door is open and unlocks - then tries again - this continues until I shut the door.
Sometimes when I go over a bump the car locks - then unlocks on the next bump.
Usually if I talk about the car it locks me in. (but perhaps I'm being paraniod)
I've found a temporary solution of removing the central locking fuse...
It seems to be related to the internal light as when I open both back doors the lights flash like I'm in a rave...
I'll be really impressed - but does anyone have any advice
Richard Gallagher
My Cars:

Post by Richard Gallagher »

I have had similar problems on a couple of Xantias which both turned out to be caused by a poor connection between the N/S/F door lock and loom. Sorted by spraying with WD40.
ndaisley
My Cars:

Post by ndaisley »

... and presumably the car can read your lips when you express frustration with it, and lock you out on occasion, telling you 'Sorry Gavin, I can't let you do that. Your actions would prejudice the mission.'
Sorry, but my only comment would be that this funky locking seems to be a favourite Citroen feature, which I have often seen mentioned in reviews of the ZX in particular.
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

It's not the motor - but could be a sluggish lock/unlock position switch located on the motor unit. Hence the suggestion on a new motor.
I believe Richard could be spot on, but it's a very common problem that one of the thin gauge control wires in the door loom is sheared.
For some reason this problem is wellknown on french cars - or at least not reported that often on other cars (kept as a secret) [;)]
gavinmassey

Post by gavinmassey »

Thanks for the help - I'll give the doors a wD40 bath and see if anything still works.. - will report back tomorrow [8D]