HDi fuel filter leak

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

rossd
My Cars:

HDi fuel filter leak

Post by rossd »

I've got a fuel leak coming from the drain pipe on the fuel filter. Now there seems to be some sort of tap, but this is tight (cant undo or tighten it... Knowing me you probably pull it or something) but the damn thing still dribbles fuel from the flexible pipe that dangles from it. Has anybody got any ideas how to stop this? Its making marks on my drive and lowering my fuel consumption!!
wilkobob
My Cars:

Post by wilkobob »

stick something in the end of the pipe so it doesnt dribble out?!
p20

Post by p20 »

My Xantia HDi has developed the same problem this week. Have ordered the seal for the tap from the main dealers to see if that cures it, although the existing one looks fine. Apparently the fuel filter housing is supposed to be a disposable part along with the filter. Citroen recommends changing it along with the filter.[:0]Will let you know how i get on with the seal(should have it tomorrow morning)
Oh, mines a Bosch fuel filter housing, the tap undoes anti clockwise.[8D]
rossd
My Cars:

Post by rossd »

Cheers, will be interested in the result. It may be mine has been overtightened, I couldnt get it off so will try some molegrips or similar.
I could stick something up the pipe, but it still doesnt mend the leak
[:D]
p20

Post by p20 »

Hi, sorry for delay in responding to this i've been on nightshift.[B)] Got the drainscrew from dealer (£1.01) which includes the new seal. It now doesn't leak.[:D] Happy again.
guillermo
My Cars:

Post by guillermo »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by p20</i>

My Xantia HDi has developed the same problem this week. Have ordered the seal for the tap from the main dealers to see if that cures it, although the existing one looks fine. Apparently the fuel filter housing is supposed to be a disposable part along with the filter. Citroen recommends changing it along with the filter.[:0]Will let you know how i get on with the seal(should have it tomorrow morning)
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
guillermo
My Cars:

Post by guillermo »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by p20</i>

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Dear friends,
I don´t have leaks in my Xantia HDI bosch fuel filter, but since a month ago when a bought the car I have tried to open the housing, but I couldn´t. I used a special tool in the metal ring, but it turns free and nothing hapenned with the plastic cap.
What is the right way to open it? Do you mentioned that it opens anti clockwise? Just to avoid lenguaje mistakes ( just in case you havent noticed it, english is not my native lenguaje), that means that I have to turn the cap of the housing anti clockwise to release it? It can be done just by hand ?
Very nice forum.
Regards
Guillermo
p20

Post by p20 »

No, i was talking about the drain tap on the bottom of the fuel filter. I'm not technical enough to get the other bit apart.[:o)]
rossd
My Cars:

Post by rossd »

Thanks for the update, I'll trundle along to my local dealer tommorow and get a new drainscrew.
rossd
My Cars:

Post by rossd »

Well I replaced the drainscrew (£1.80!!!) and it STILL leaks! Looks like a new filter housing is on the cards.