ZX Instrument Panel Lights

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Di

ZX Instrument Panel Lights

Post by Di »

Ok,
It seems that the lights which "light-up" my instrument panel on my 1.4 Citroen ZX Neon have finally given up the ghost. They have gradually diminshed from me being able to see everything, to only seeing up to 75mph on the speedo and finally, now, nothing at all! So I have my Haynes manual and have enlisted the help of some friends but was just wondering if it will be a complex job to perform. There is NO airbag so I don't have to worry about that.
Any advice would be greatly received.
Ta!
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

It's not too bad. Follow Haynes broadly, but... The heater dial bulbs will probably need doing as well, so strip the front off the centre section first (ignore Haynes here you can't get the bulbs from behind). Lift the white clips and pull the front of heater control off (knobs complete with backing strip) then you can change the bulbs. Refit the heater front, but leave the console etc off - this then gives you acres of room to reach in behind the instrument cluster to disconnect the speedo cable (and you can ignore all the advice in Haynes about disconnecting the heater duct etc). Took me about 3 leisurely hours to change all the bulbs.
Sl4yer
My Cars:

Post by Sl4yer »

I believe its possible to change the instrument lights without mass removal of components, but only if you have small hands. A mechanic once did it for me, I wouldn't fancy trying it myself!
VisaGTi16v

Post by VisaGTi16v »

I did all the bulbs in my zx before including the centre console and I had to go in that way to reach round and remove the speedo cable in order to take the dials out. Took half a day but was well worth it to have every single light working and being nice and bright
wilkobob
My Cars:

Post by wilkobob »

I have huge hands, and I can take the insturment panel out of mine without removing much, just the fascia (thats the bi*ch cuz of the fog light buttons) the rest is easy, clipping the speedo cable back on can be a little tricky, but has been faultless for me.
Remove screws at bottom and top of fascia (4 in total, possibly thorx) carefully remove fascia noting where connectors go (dont want rear heated screen done by fog lamp switch.. he he he) undo 2 screws at bottom of insturment panel, and remove it, change bulbs, and reverse the procedure to put it all back to gether, making sure the speedo cable is clipped in place... Lovely job.
Di

Post by Di »

Thanks everybody for the advice. It seems like I have a good half days job ahead of me [:)]. All I have to do now is source some new bulbs and find a smaller pair of hands [;)]!!