Water loss help

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

tjsingh

Water loss help

Post by tjsingh »

Hi
Was driving today and all of a sudden temperature went up.
Checked and all water had been drained from the radiator.
to check put water in radiator and water took a while to start pouring out its on the driver side of the engine.
Any help on what it could be as there are loads of parts in the way?
cheers
TJ
solara

Post by solara »

Car model might help.
Possibly water pump leaking or split hose.
tjsingh

Post by tjsingh »

sorry its a peugeot 306 XLD 1994 model
I had a quick look under it but was awkward to see but there was water coming from near pipe but not sure whether it was from further up! how would i know if the water pump goes? wouldnt it make noise?
Wookey
(Donor 2019)
My Cars: Peugeot Expert 1.9D (Camper conversion) (2003-now)

Post by Wookey »

That'll be the XUD engine I assume. There is a pipe that goes from bottom of radiator round the side to back of engine. At it's end there is a nexus of numerous water pipes. metal on early models, plastic on later ones. I've had the wheel wear through that pipe when the scruff-cover was missing - but that's pretty obvious. The pipe could have split where it attaches to the nexus thing. That one is easy to see if you take off plastic cover behind wheel. Ther is also a big top hose, but that's normally obvious from the top - maybe not on on a 306?
tjsingh

Post by tjsingh »

cheers for the reply
From the top cannot see the leak so i assume that the hose at the bottom will be leaking.
Its bit awkward from the bottom of the car to get to pipe. Is it best to take the wheel off and do it from the side???
Oh yeah also wheres the best place to get pipes for cars apart from dealer? cos they will be expensive?
cheers
tjsingh

Post by tjsingh »

I got the car checked they said that there is a radiator hose which goes around to the back of the engine, they said i need to plastic housing for it?
its really awkward to get to! any ideas the best way to change it!
any ideas will be much appreciated!
cheers
TJ
ralph
My Cars:

Post by ralph »

If you've not already sorted this...
The 'hose to the back of the engine' is the hose/hoses Wookey mentioned, which connects the radiator to the water pump. On earlier XUDs this hose section is in about three parts, so you only need to replace what is leaking. On later ones it comes as one large hose assembly (costs about £35)
Remove offside wheel and wheel arch liner for access. Drain coolant from system before disconnecting hoses. Use a smear of washing up liquid on the end of hoses when fitting so they slide on easier.
Source replacement hoses from a dealer, they're the only places you can get them. They'll probably have to be ordered. Because of the bends in hoses, you can't make them up from standard lengths of hose.
tjsingh

Post by tjsingh »

cheers for that!
not got it sorted yet which is frustrating!
i rang peugeot when i explained the plastic housing they go its for the intake tank?? is that what you were saying as well??
it costs bout 7.94 which aint bad!!
does that sound right?
cheers
tj
ralph
My Cars:

Post by ralph »

I presume the intake tank is what I'd call the expansion tank, ie where you pour in the coolant.
I'm lost as to what you need - is it a new hose? Or is it plastic clips which secure the hose to the car body where it passes behind the offside wheel?
As long as you've identified what's bust, and you're sure the dealer knows what part you need, you won't go wrong.
If you go there in person, they'll show you a diagram and you can identify what you want.
tjsingh

Post by tjsingh »

Hi Ralph
Nah its not the actual hose but the plastic housing for the raditor hose where it connects to the backend of the engine ? its plastic hosing for the raditor pipe think where the pipes go into??
any ideas?
Wookey
(Donor 2019)
My Cars: Peugeot Expert 1.9D (Camper conversion) (2003-now)

Post by Wookey »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by tjsingh</i>

Nah its not the actual hose but the plastic housing for the raditor hose where it connects to the backend of the engine ? its plastic hosing for the raditor pipe think where the pipes go into??<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
That's this bit (looking form the back of the engine)
The long pipe round the side of the car comes into the RH end. You need to be sure before going shopping whether the hose has split where it joins or this plastic thing has broken. Normally this plastic thing only breaks if it gets belted or crushed during engine removal.
To get access to this area to see what is going on, take the (offside front) wheel off, jack the car up, remove the trim behind the wheel and you should be able to see what's what quite well. Pour some water in the top and youll see where it comes out.
tjsingh

Post by tjsingh »

cheers for the reply wookey! that will defintely help! will let you know how i get on
cheers :)
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

That plastic housing is well known for leaking on older cars, especially if it's plastic (Wookey - change yours before you refit the engine!). To change it you will probably have to remove the RH driveshaft to get enough room. Nasty job by all accounts.
tjsingh

Post by tjsingh »

good some bad news on the weekend found out that the head gasket has gone and may be cracked! damn! well thats what the garage said!
anyway i can check it to see if the head gasket as gone?
otherwise car will be on sale for the car/parts any offers?
Homer
My Cars: Current:
Volvo V60 D4 180

Previous:
BX16RS (two of),
BX19TZI,
Xantia 2.0i saloon,
Xantia 2.0 Exclusive CT turbo Break,
Peugeot 807 2.0 HDi 110,
Renault Grand Scenic, 2.0 diesel (150bhp)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi 160 which put me off French cars possibly forever

Post by Homer »

It's not unusual for the heads to warp or the gasket to go on these engines when they overheat so it's certainly a possibility.
Usual sign of blown head casket is a mayonaise type substance in the water or the oil filler cap, although in the oil filler it can be caused by condensation. A compression test will confirm one way or the other.