Connectors on Xantia TD engine

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Wookey
(Donor 2019)
My Cars: Peugeot Expert 1.9D (Camper conversion) (2003-now)

Connectors on Xantia TD engine

Post by Wookey »

I have a Xantia TD which is going into my expert, previsouly equipped with the NA diesel. A remarkable number of details are different. There are a few things I'm not sure about.
The injection pump has two connectors - the solenoid on top and something else below - what is it and is it important? - my old engine didn't have this so I don't know what, if anything, it should be connected to.
The thermostat housing has two sensors in it - the old one only had one. The extra one only has one pin. What is it? temp warning light as well as temp gauge? Should I assume the temp gauge senders are the same in expert NA and Xantia TD or do I need to swap them over?
Thge TD engine has an oil level sensor in the back of the engine. My old one didn't. Do I reall need this as well as the oil pressure sensor in the front? What is the output? a resistance or an on/off when it gets too low/high?
And one non-electrical item: there is a spigot on the front of the cylinder head (LH side). I assume it is connected to the water system. On my old engine this is just a blanking plate. What does this conect to on a Xantia? Is it important for the TD or should I just blank it off (as I have nowhere to connect it to without changing the piping)?
Thank for any help you can provide. I could take some pictures if this doesn't make sense to people.
vanny
My Cars:

Post by vanny »

Second connector on the Injection pump is 'Over Boost' light, which tells you when the turbo is in action. Not Needed!
Second sensor on thermostat housing is possibly for the Air Con temp (Brown connector), Water temp runs off Blue connector, and behind the fuel filter will be a green connector for POST heat Relay (Which is important for this engine, though not critical!).
Wouldn't worry too much about the lever sensor. Although mine is wired in it simply gives what ever output reading it wants, and in turn i kindly disregard the reading (i have tried different guages thinking this to be the problem, but it seems its just one of them things on the BX!)
As for the 'Spigot' it its the one im thinking of then it should run upto a union above and behind the injection pump. On the union there should be a dust valve thing (like on the tyres) which is a pretty important bleed point on the TD engine so not one to avoid.
Easy!
Any more Qn's?
oilyspanner
My Cars:

Post by oilyspanner »

I agree with Vanny on the electrical front though I believed the ones on the pump are electrical fast idle and stop solenoid,live to both works fine as for the extra spigot its part of the self bleed system,it should have an equivalent on the other end of the head, as long as one of them runs to either the expansion bottle or the built in one on the side of the rad it will be okay. I put a length of pipe on mine terminating in a tyre valve and cap. it helps bleeding the coolant.
Stewart
Wookey
(Donor 2019)
My Cars: Peugeot Expert 1.9D (Camper conversion) (2003-now)

Post by Wookey »

Hmm. I was hoping for a third opinion here on what the extra wire is for - is it 'over boost light'=ignore or 'electrical fast idle' (what does that mean?)= connect to solenoid?
Below is a pic of the extra spigot I was on about, just so you can confirm it's the water system and I should try to connect it to the expansion tank for bleeding purposes:
(that's number 4 injector at top of pic and injection pump blurry at bottom). There isn't one on the other side of the head.
oilyspanner
My Cars:

Post by oilyspanner »

Yup that spigot should connect to expansion bottle or built in expansion bottle on radiator.
Stewart
vanny
My Cars:

Post by vanny »

not on a Xantia engine, it goes to a union of three pipes first. I cant find my engine pictures, but when i do i'll show you what i mean. It connects a little higher and slightly to the left of the picture you are showing. But then from the union (with the bleed on it) it goes to the header tank anyways!
mrbump
My Cars:

Post by mrbump »

the second connector on the thermo housing is indeed fo a/c equipped cars with the bitron unit. You dont need it. You do need the right hose to connect the return water from the cylider head (in pic). I have a spare one if youre stuck. There are different types of plug on the pumps, if I remember correctly, one wire (the one you are identifying?) is for the immobiliser system as fitted to xants with the stoopid keypad thing. You should be able to disregard it as the plug you will have wonu have that pin anyway.
HTH
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

Hmm...that pump has the wappy return damper on it so is of the later type, post a pic of it if you can.
Dave
vanny
My Cars:

Post by vanny »

Yeah tis the same one as mine :D i suspect it will also have the stupid gas strut thing on it as well! Dont believe what some pundits say they make a HUGE difference. My mae has a 405 without the damper and everytime he lifts his foot you kiss the dash! NOT NICE!
vanny
My Cars:

Post by vanny »

Ah Ha!
The green circle shows the 'Union' i was talking about. The brown pipe runs to the header tank (its also clear, and the brown is staining!), the pipe with the green arrow along it runs from your unidentified 'Spigot', and i dont remember where the back one comes from.
The NA has a blanking plate i think, instead of the spigot, DONT fit this or your HG will go pop!