Xantia won't start

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

samsdodgybloke
My Cars:

Xantia won't start

Post by samsdodgybloke »

Hi, a customer's xantia turbo derv will not start. It turns over but will not fire up. Have replaced the cold start valve. Could glow plugs make it do this?
mipster
My Cars:

Post by mipster »

I wouldn't have thought so. The heat from compression should allow it to start eventually.
Had the same symptons on a 406 one cold morning. Removed the fuel filter to find a big chunk of ice, it wouldn't start due to lack of fuel flow.
Robin
My Cars:

Post by Robin »

Or the fuel shut off solenoid?
The engine will not start without heater plugs functioning on at least two cylinders.
Air leak, pump fuel by hand to check.
As a last resort a tiny bit of easystart but only a tiny squirt too. This would at least prove whether the system is injecting fuel. R.
samsdodgybloke
My Cars:

Post by samsdodgybloke »

Thx to you all. Perseverence I guess!
mipster
My Cars:

Post by mipster »

<i>The engine will not start without heater plugs functioning on at least two cylinders.</i>
Is that true? may help me out.
on sunday my xantia TD took ages of turning over the fire, before sunday it started fine. I rather hoped it would go away but monday moring and night yielded the same results.
This morning I primed the fuel first but it made no difference (to be expected I've got a one-way valve installed).
I've just drained the fuel filter - I'll se if that makes a differnce tonight.
If it doesn't I was thinking about it being a glowplug wiring or relay failure but it does start eventually so your comments rule that out.
mipster
macs

Post by macs »

Xantia engine won't start without heater plugs unless towed! Quick check; turn on interior light then turn on ignition and wait until you hear heater solenoid click off (not just the heater light). If your interior light brightens up at the same time as the "click", at least one heater is working. Try jumping from battery to heater plug, wait a minute, then try starting with the jump lead still connected. Check shut down solenoid first!!
jack.dempsey
My Cars: BX TZD @ 250K miles (J reg),
Xantia TD @ 165K miles (R reg),
Xantia 2.1 TD (R reg)
and tow a caravan with them all (not at the same time)

Post by jack.dempsey »

I think that on a Xantia, the glow plugs stay 'on' considerably longer than the little 'glow plug' light on the dashboard might suggest, as indeed 'macs' reply above suggests. I believe it can be some minutes - even when the engine has been started.
jack.dempsey
My Cars: BX TZD @ 250K miles (J reg),
Xantia TD @ 165K miles (R reg),
Xantia 2.1 TD (R reg)
and tow a caravan with them all (not at the same time)

Post by jack.dempsey »

Some Xantia TDs can be absolute 'pigs' to start when the temperature is at or below freezing - I know a particular one very well. Once its 'off' it goes like a train and there is nothing to suggest it could be so difficult to get going. I've been through the diagnostic loop several times - glowplugs changed 3 times (now on beru - but not much better) and cold start settings adjusted/re-adjusted. Warmer weather comes along and starting is OK. Latest suggestions are to check valve clearances - but thats another blessed nuisance of a job, because of all the stuff that has to be removed to get to the top cover. Good luck.
weety
My Cars:

Post by weety »

i think you are right i remember reading that the glow plugs just keep on glowing till the engine reaches a certain temperature....its to avoid the old lumpy diesel idle when cold
mipster
My Cars:

Post by mipster »

<i>Xantia engine won't start without heater plugs unless towed! Quick check; turn on interior light then turn on ignition and wait until you hear heater solenoid click off (not just the heater light). If your interior light brightens up at the same time as the "click", at least one heater is working.</i>
The interior light method works nicely, but I may have to disagree on the starting without heater plugs idea.
I tried the interior light idea last week and couldn't see it brighten at all. Then on Saturday I changed my glowplugs and now it does. All 3 plugs I removed were dead (didn't attempt the 4th [;)])
mipster
My Cars:

Post by mipster »

must remeber to use square brackets, not angle for my <i>itaic</i> tags [:I]
ACTIVE8
My Cars:

Post by ACTIVE8 »

On a different model of vehicle, not Citroen. If there were starting problems, and I needed to determine which, if any heater plugs were not working.
I would connect a test light to the heater plug relay box live feed. With the connection plug that feeds from this to each individual heater plug disconnected, and the ignition on. It's actually possible to determine which heater plug is out, by putting the probe of the test light into the connector plug, which being numbered identified the specific plug, and cylinder. This allowed you to quickly determine the faulty plug(s.)
Is it possible to use the same method on a Citroen ?
So
uhn113x
My Cars: 1981 Dyane - on road all year round.
1982 GSA Pallas - on road April - September.
1997 ZX 1.9D Dimension.

Post by uhn113x »

Cannot see how that could work, as all four plugs are connected together, and receive voltage whether they are any good or not.
You would need to disconnect each plug in turn and measure the <b>current</b> or just measure the total current if you know what each plug takes. Someone here will [:)]
macs

Post by macs »

ACTIVE8, not possible on a Xantia. All the heater plugs are connected together and one wire goes to the relay/controller. Only way to test is disconnect all and test each one with a multimeter or circuit tester. Alternatively just a wire from the positive terminal on the battery and lightly touch each plug. If it sparks, it's ok. Be warned, sparking can damage electronics, although rarely, so it may not be a good idea to test this way!!!
ACTIVE8
My Cars:

Post by ACTIVE8 »

I am surprised that Citroen made it more difficult as you say, by not using a connector block.