Tow Electrics Xantia

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

batbay
My Cars:

Tow Electrics Xantia

Post by batbay »

Hi Folks!
Could someone please enlighten me as to what exactly I am looking for "behind the RHS lamp cluster" to attach my tow ball electrics cable to? (I have done a search - on this site, and in the car!).
Robin
My Cars:

Post by Robin »

Sorry to answer with a question but are you using a citroen connection kit? It is very easy & obvious that way. Otherwise you are going to have to use joiners to splice into the existing cables which is not a good idea really. They are very thin and easily broken.
A multi meter will test out each cable and tell you which is for what lamp etc.
Also I believe new installations should be wired to give an audible indication of indicators functioning correctly.
Nice bit of grammer that bit!! Good luck. R
batbay
My Cars:

Post by batbay »

Thanks, Robin. I was under the impression that I would find a block or whatever to connect into. I guess I have to pay a visit to my local Citroen Dealer (who, incidentally,I have found to be very helpful and reasonable.).
Barry
np
My Cars:

Post by np »

It really is very easy to wire up the road lights.I`ve done 10 towbars in the last 7 yrs!(2 on Xantias)You do need a audible relay kit,so as when you indicate(with the socket pluged in)you know that the indicators are working on the towed trailer etc.The kit is about £7 & can be brought from most caravan dealers or independent car acc shops.
Once you`ve removed the trim in the boot area,it only takes about half an hour to wire up.You will need a multi meter,or a test light to find the right wires at the rear light unit.And you have to take feeds from both sides/lights.
If you want me to go more indepth,let me know,but i`m off on holiday tomorrow,so you will have to be quick!
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

I go along with Neil. I´ve done my Xantia estate and I just connected the seven core cable to each individual lamp holder with piggyback connectors. Before closing the connectors, fill them with grease to save corrosion later on.
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Sure its RHS? On my BX its LHS rear cluster and the socket for the trailers plugs in - can't quite remember how but its easy!
You may find that the rear fog lights stop working! The plug system is supposed to use a socket with a switch in the appropriate pin to disconnect the car rear fog light when a trailer is connected. Often an ordinary socket is used in which case the switch arrangement doesn't work and you have no car rear fog lights. I eventually twigged what was going on and bridged the thing with a couple of scotchlock connectors.
A search will reveal more postings.
Jeremy
prm
My Cars:

Post by prm »

Links to towing and wiring details that may help.
http://www.rydertowing.co.uk/pages/lighting_intro.htm
http://www.volvoclub.org.uk/towbar_electrics
If you find you have problems isolating car rear fog lamps. Temporary cover most of the fog lenses with insulation tape, to reduce rear mirror glare from trailer/caravan.
Peter
batbay
My Cars:

Post by batbay »

Thanks for all that info.
Barry
np
My Cars:

Post by np »

Have you got it sorted yet batbay?
batbay
My Cars:

Post by batbay »

Hi Neil,
Put it off! But must do it today. "Xantiatdsx" helped by posting a diagram yesterday.
Cheers,
Barry
batbay
My Cars:

Post by batbay »

Job done! Thanks to all for the help.
Barry