pass/fail

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

mipster
My Cars:

pass/fail

Post by mipster »

My xantia is up for MOT this month.
I gave it a quick once over this weekend. And found the following.
1) exhasut rattles like mad but no loose shield, must be baffles
2) exhaust smoke from under bonnet on start up.
3) oil breather hose perished and clamped fix not perfect (but looks okay after a wipe)
I have to say that cosmetically it's in a bad state. There's dents in the bonnet, roof, boot, n/s front wheel arch and sill along with a lovely scratch on the o/s. power steering is lazy first thing after starting (lhm level is fine and 20 months old)
Most of the trim is well worn with the rear seats missing. Most of this is due to me using it as a windsurfing and general building van.
So will it pass?
I've a feeling that the fumes under the bonnet may fail it but when warm they aren't easy to see.
Last year I faile on a wiper baldes and bleed off pipes
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

Depends entirely on how interested the tester is (or if he's even awake).
//NiSk
mipster
My Cars:

Post by mipster »

PASS!
I took the day off work yesterday, packed up my tools, dressed warmly and drove the 30 miles to the MOT nearest where my donor xantia is. Ha d the MOT booked for 9am to allow a full day for repairs.
But it passed first time! oh dear xant, why did I ever doubt you?
Funny thing is that it's the first year I haven't spent time on a service and full check over before taking it in (still normally fails).
dnsey

Post by dnsey »

Research many years ago, when I was trying to design an efficient motorcycle exhaust system, turned up the useful fact that the baffles are primarily fitted to ensure that hot cinders are not allowed to fall on the highway! Apparently, the law requires this precaution (from the days of steam-driven road vehicles), and the noise-killing function is secondary.
oilyspanner
My Cars:

Post by oilyspanner »

Had the same problem on Sisters Xantia, put your boot on the silencer and the buzzing stopped, It felt like a strategically placed dent in the thing would stop the buzzing. ended up replacing the silencer (though not for that reason)
Stewart