406 Immobiliser cutting in when it feels like it!!

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

stetson
My Cars:

406 Immobiliser cutting in when it feels like it!!

Post by stetson »

I've just ventured into the 'New age' realm of peugeots having previously owned many 405's and have already met my first technical problem.
My 406TD has the keypad immobiliser and over the weekend i managed to make a couple of journeys with no probs atall.However,i made several journeys which didnt go so well! For no apparant reason the immobiliser decides to arm itself whilst driving along.Once stopped it would fire back up again,sometimes needing to re-key the code.But last night it stopped and wont re-start!This time both the red and green light are on at the same time which i believe indicates there is a problem.(<i>Really??!!)</i>
Im not sure whether its all linked but im pretty sure there is a bad earth somewhere as the speedo has only worked twice and the tacho is up and down like mad with no relation to engine speed,and there is also a relay somewhere behind the dash clicking away like mad.Anyone think thinking the same?
So,its booked in with peugeot for a diagnostic check on wednesday where they'll happily relieve my wallet of £30 just for the check, but any help beforehand would be great.
PowerLee
My Cars: Current - Slightly modified 2016 Pug 308 Puretech 130 Allure
Past:
2003 - 206 GLX TU3JP & 206 SE ET3JP4
1995 - 405 Executive XU10J2
1996 - 406 GLX XU10J4R
1994 - 405 GTX XU10J2

Post by PowerLee »

Check the battery connections, Check the earths & check those large round electrical conections behind the passenger side headlamp.
Those are a classic piece of CRAP design!
stetson
My Cars:

Post by stetson »

Thanks,good to know someone else thinks that might be the prob.Just got the car back home,it broke down 8 miles away last nite and i had to leave it there as i was on way to work.Got in it just and it started up no probs.Drove the 8 miles back to home and it cut out just as i got on to the drive!!!Again,wont start up and both red+green lights are illuminated.
There was the usual eratic actions of the tacho and speedo and the clicking of the relay behind the dash. Deff gonna want to check the earths, but to be honest wouldnt have a clue where to start looking! Any pointers??