xantia radio steering wheel controls

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

mark_sp

xantia radio steering wheel controls

Post by mark_sp »

Hello all.
Does anyone know where the codes/pulses (whatever ?) are generated that control the radio from the steering wheel. Is it in the steering wheel switches or in some control unit.
I ask because my car is a 1998 Xantia and it's proved impossible to get an aftermarket CD player to work with the steering controls. Autoleads Technical Support say that it's because Citroen "messed about" with the codes during 1997 - 1998.
If they are correct then maybe I can swap out the switches/control unit for one that is outside this date range.
Cheers
Mark
Robin
My Cars:

Post by Robin »

I think.....
From previous experience I understand the magic bit may be the small electronic panel housed within the steering wheel. Early models were too advanced for many radio's and later ones were as you have found. The 98 I had could not be upgraded reliably either so I guess your information is correct.
Could you change the steering wheel control circuit for one that does work? Just wondering about on that one. Robin
martyhopkirk

Post by martyhopkirk »

Mark, I have an auto leads adaptor harness for the Xantia - it gives two wiring options, one for the pre 98 and one for the post 98 Xantia. Isnt it just a case of switching a couple of wires around? Will pop out to the car where the instruction manual is when wife gets back.
acrowot
My Cars:

Post by acrowot »

I have a 1996 Xantia and my Sony headunit will not work reliably with the Autoleads unit, no matter which of the two options I used, Autoleads were of absolutely no use in this respect and anvised me to buy a different Headunit, a Goodmans I think. My opinion is that Autoleads are well aware that their unit does not work with some Xantia and Headunit combinations and have no inclination to do anytthing about it.
paranoid
My Cars:

Post by paranoid »

Guy at work is in the process of changing stereo in his picasso, he was told sony and autoleads can't always be relied on because of citroen changing codes, links or something.
Apparently kenwood and appropriate lead is quite a good match, no problem with battery drain etc.
acrowot
My Cars:

Post by acrowot »

Yes it was a Kenwood that Autoleads recomended to me, I think I must have Goodmans on my mind as my TV has just gone faulty, it is a Goodmans ( yes I know )
mark_sp

Post by mark_sp »

Thanks
Tried both options on the lead to no avail. After much badgering Autoleads admitted that only 1 in 3 applications for the 1997-98 xantias were succesfull and could offer no further help. I suggested they publicise this fact but had no response. It really bugs me not to be able to use the steering controls and it seems a little drastic to change the car!
Thing is my CD player is disintegrating and If I'm buying a new one I'd like it to work with the steering controls.
Mark
dan.2cv
My Cars:

Post by dan.2cv »

Mark, buy a single slot and fit it with a radio adapter, then simply reach down to control it. The steering wheel buttons can then be used to fuel your motoring fantasies of 'Nova chav destroyer' 'old lady knocker-downer' and 'warp speed' etc.
Failing that, buy a Kenwood (stereo, not food mixer)
rogue
My Cars:

Post by rogue »

i have a sony cdx-mp40 with the autolead and its not right clever in mp3 mode but as cd mode its fine,works tracks and the main thing,the volume(to turn up when wife starts prattling),but alas the car is up for sale so i am selling the lead and facia plate(see for sale section)
failing that buy one that has its own remote ,(my sony came with one)and blue peter it(double sided sticky back plastic)to the wheel
p20

Post by p20 »

Sounds like i was lucky then.[:)] I plugged my Sony head unit/auto changer in using autoleads and it worked first time. Although mine is a later car, so they may have settled on which codes, etc.
davek-uk
My Cars:

Post by davek-uk »

An old thread gives some of the voltages applied by the steering remote buttons and may be of interest: http://www.andyspares.com/discussionfor ... IC_ID=7226