Petrol in a Diesel Car

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

ndaisley
My Cars:

Petrol in a Diesel Car

Post by ndaisley »

No, I haven't done it and don't intend to do it. Having just bought my first ever diesel I am a bit neurotic about absent-mindedly taking it to the wrong pump and have put little notices to myself all over the car!
But what exactly happens if you do put petrol in a diesel car? Are we talking about death by bang or by whimper? would love to know......
Conversely, how about diesel in a petrol car?
Sl4yer
My Cars:

Post by Sl4yer »

From what I've read (mainly here), a little petrol in your diesel won't hurt too much immediately, but may well knacker your injection pump due to lack of lubrication.
As for diesel in petrol, well I'd expect it just wouldn't go bang!
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

If you are really that worried - fill the tank full then fill it up every 50 miles - chances are that what probably amounts to 1 gallon in 12 won't do much damage!
Seriously it depends to some extent on the pump fitted. On the old ones lots of petrol will cause damage as they rely on the fuel for lubrication and will therefore suffer damage as petrol is an even worse lubricant than diesel. not quite sure how common rail pumps work - except that they produce enormous pressure and are probably more prone to lubrication problems.
Diesel in petrol - just soots it up and shopule be quite easy to get out despite what some experts will claim. pump runs at about 36 psi for fuel injection (4 for carbs) and there's damn all else in the circuit apart from electrically fired injectors - so a flush should get rid of all of it quite easily. (may need a new filter)
I've heard of people being told that diesel in an Audi cased £1000 worth of damage - can't see it!
jeremy
np
My Cars:

Post by np »

My wife has done it twice on a Mondeo TD.The first time she put a full tank in from empty,drove 2 miles before it conked out.I had to get all the fuel out,fit a new fuel filter,fill with diesel.& it ran fine after that.
The 2nd,she put £20 worth in.Relised what she done,rang me up,i went to the "petrol" station,filled it right up with diesel.It ran like a bag of bolts for a while.But every day putting another fivers worth of fuel in till it ran fine.But after a week it just gave up,so i had to drain it all again.Both times there was no damage to the fuel pump,so she/we got away with it.
2 weeks after that she got a petrol Fiesta!
VisaGTi16v

Post by VisaGTi16v »

lol I hope you made the point that you were going to help her at the "petrol station" :)
I havent owned a diesel for years but I was paranoid when I got my first petrol. This problem continued when I got a newer car with a cat that needed unleaded! I still triple check every time I fill up now
beezer

Post by beezer »

Not good to put petrol in an HDi. Generally not good for the pump on any engine. http://www.aatrust.com/aamotoringtrust/ ... elling.pdf
Maybe a bit over cautious but doesn't help your engine.
wrinklet1
My Cars:

Post by wrinklet1 »

If you only put about £10 of petrol into you car, just fill it up and keep topped up with diesel. My wife did it the other month, no worry, just brimmed it with derv. In fact I got more mpg out of it!!!
If you go over £20 of petrol you will be looking at draining your tank, replacing the fuel filter, repriming your pump etc.
Paul